Ducks not waterproof?

Rbek99

Hatching
Jan 9, 2016
Hi guys! I've been raising 2 wild ducklings for my local vet and have had them since about mid December 2016. It's now almost the end of February and they have all their adult feathers and can fly a little and are living outside (it's still summer where I live so pretty warm and not raining much).

The problem is that they are not waterproof yet and I'm worried that the could fly off in the next week or two and still get soaking wet in water. Last year I raised 3 ducklings and they got waterproof on their own without a problem.
I think thesee ducks are taking longer to get waterproof so is there something I could do to make get their oil glands working properly? Should I take them to the vet? Or is this normal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Wild ducks are born next to water and get in with there mom. I don't see a problem with them getting wet.

Last edited:
Hi guys! I've been raising 2 wild ducklings for my local vet and have had them since about mid December 2016. It's now almost the end of February and they have all their adult feathers and can fly a little and are living outside (it's still summer where I live so pretty warm and not raining much).

The problem is that they are not waterproof yet and I'm worried that the could fly off in the next week or two and still get soaking wet in water. Last year I raised 3 ducklings and they got waterproof on their own without a problem.
I think thesee ducks are taking longer to get waterproof so is there something I could do to make get their oil glands working properly? Should I take them to the vet? Or is this normal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just curious how you know or why you believe they aren't waterproof yet... Their oil glands should be working just fine if they have their adult feathers... I've never witnessed any of ours being waterlogged after that point anyway.

Wild babies get waterproofed by mom until they can do it on their own, which is usual by a month or so of age, when they're on their own.

In general all Duckling will produce oil the more they get to swim.....Mine are 6 days old and their oil glands are starting to work......All Ducks will look wet , but they dry quickly and oil up....

I do not think you have anything to worry about......

Cheers!

Just curious how you know or why you believe they aren't waterproof yet... Their oil glands should be working just fine if they have their adult feathers... I've never witnessed any of ours being waterlogged after that point anyway.

Wild babies get waterproofed by mom until they can do it on their own, which is usual by a month or so of age, when they're on their own.

HI and thanks for the reply! I know they aren't waterproof yet as the other day it rained lightly and their feathers got all soaked! Though not as bad as they would have if they had a bath. But they actually flew away this morning so not much I can do unless they come back. :(

Last edited:
In general all Duckling will produce oil the more they get to swim.....Mine are 6 days old and their oil glands are starting to work......All Ducks will look wet , but they dry quickly and oil up....

I do not think you have anything to worry about......

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply! Maybe I didn't give them a bath enough. They flew away this morning so hopefully they'll be fine!

HI and thanks for the reply! I know they aren't waterproof yet as the other day it rained lightly and their feathers got all soaked! Though not as bad as they would have if they had a bath. But they actually flew away this morning so not much I can do unless they come back. :(

Hmmm, well I don't really know then... Aside from not getting to swim enough or maybe a nutrient deficiency... Do they have free access to water? And what do you feed them?

Are they mallards?

Ours fly off every morning but come back in evening. They might come back, they might not, that kinda just depends on them ;)

*oh, also, do you see the preening and trying to oil up at all?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom