Can I free range a pheasant?

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
I keep Bantam chickens, Red Jungle fowl, Guinea Fowl, ducks and one peacock, and they all live free range on my land (which is fenced in from dogs. Its a mango orchard, and the birds roost in the trees. The land is big and they never stray out over the fence (excepts the small chicks which come and go until they get too big to fit through the gaps lol.

I rescued a ring neck pheasant which has a deformed and overgrown beak (and was being kept in a tiny cage in a dark room... I could not leave the poor thing like that).

Will I be able to let him out to free range with my other birds, or will he just fly away and never return?

I have never kept pheasants before so have no experience of their temperament or intelligence. If it knows where the food is.. and can see the other poultry about, will it be likely to stick around? I understand my other kinds of birds are flock birds... does that mean a pheasant does not like to be with other birds?

One thing I thought of was clipping his wing so he can't fly well... but he till might be able to climb up the trees and jump over the fence or wall if he really wanted to get out.

Any ideas or suggestions? Anyone had a 'pet' pheasant they free ranged?

Thanks.

In general, "pheasants" won't free range. If they get out of their enclosure, more likely than not, they will be gone. Some may stick around a few days or weeks but eventually they will disappear. Predators will get them or they just leave. You can trim the birds beak, it will grow back as long as you don't cut/sand the beak too short. An enclosure with native vegetation, soil, trees, shrubs, rocks, pebbles etc...will help keep it's beak trimmed. Enclosure dimensions will be determined by how many birds you plan to raise. Male ring-necked pheasants can be aggressive towards other male birds, especially their own species. It's best to raise 1 male to 4 or 5 females. Also, be aware that females can be aggressive to other females as well...kinda "hit or miss" when pairing ring-necked pheasants. Clipping a wing, will ensure the birds death, if it is to free range...it is a pheasants only real way to escape a predator. Hope this answered some of your questions? Good Luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom