kits died

dawnandjimmy

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2017
Buchanan.ga
My rabbit which is a rex and we mated her with a New Zealand she had her babies last night which it got down to freezing and we did not know it was going to get that cold since it is been warm for quite some time and the thing is she had ample hay and her fur that she pulled out is in there is this the reason why they could have died because of died? Or some other reason? if we would have known it was going to get down to freezing we have sources of heat we use but whether did not say it was going to get down to freezing and of course it did any advice this is my first time breeding and next time it will be warmer weather I will not have to worry about temperature but still I'm sad

My rabbit which is a rex and we mated her with a New Zealand she had her babies last night which it got down to freezing and we did not know it was going to get that cold since it is been warm for quite some time and the thing is she had ample hay and her fur that she pulled out is in there is this the reason why they could have died because of died? Or some other reason? if we would have known it was going to get down to freezing we have sources of heat we use but whether did not say it was going to get down to freezing and of course it did any advice this is my first time breeding and next time it will be warmer weather I will not have to worry about temperature but still I'm sad

She may have not nursed them. I've had rabbits that honestly forget to nurse. I doubt it was the cold temperatures unless the rabbits hut is not covered on at least 2 sides.
We had some batches these last few weeks and it dropped down to the single digits(F) this week and I dont think a single one died.

Not even sure what time she had them last night but they were called not super stiff but now she is making weird noises I have never heard her do and I am watching her when she's laying down and her stomach is jumping up and down when this happens she gets up and makes the noise its not screaming but just noises I don't know if there's more in there or if she's still going to have more

That's what I thought too but it's been hours now even longer my husband said maybe stress but that wouldn't make her stomach do what it's doing has rabbits been known to have babies at different rates in hours apart?

That's what I thought too but it's been hours now even longer my husband said maybe stress but that wouldn't make her stomach do what it's doing has rabbits been known to have babies at different rates in hours apart?

I believe the New Zealands are much larger than the rexes. (We had New Zealands for quite a while, and only a rex or two as pets. Could a baby be too big for her to deliver or malpositioned in the birth canal?

I believe the New Zealands are much larger than the rexes.  (We had New Zealands for quite a while, and only a rex or two as pets. Could a baby be too big for her to deliver or malpositioned in the birth canal?

That's what i was thinking also...

New Zealands (9 to 12 pounds) average only slightly larger than Rex (7 1/2 to 10 1/2 pounds). I have seen medium sized does deliver single babies that were a great deal larger than any normal sized NZ baby without issues. While you can't completely rule out a stuck baby, since she delivered the others, the father's breed clearly isn't an issue. While it isn't typical for a doe to spread delivery out for hours or even days, it isn't unheard of. You can try palpating her to find out, and you don't even have to try to find babies - just squeezing her abdomen will most likely trigger a pretty strong contraction, if she's still in labor.

As to the lost litter (and I am sorry to hear you lost them) if I have babies born at a time when it gets below about 50o at night, I have learned that I can pretty much count on losing them unless I bring the doe into the house to kindle. I know other people don't have that problem, but I do.
idunno.gif

She is doing fine now I believe she was under stress...although her temperament is awful..she does not wanna be petted or even us in the cage.

Back
Top Bottom