Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Co-op

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Gazelle03

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2016
Hi,
I'm getting chickens this spring (around April) and I live close by to both a Co-op and more than one Tractor Supply. So out of these two what would you all say is better for getting chicks at? I really want to start with Australorps, SS, SLW and maybe EE or Sagitta chickens but those are just preferred. I put a poll into it make it easier to compare the two. If you've only been to one but you had a good/bad experience you can add to the poll as well. Thanks for the input in advance!

P.S this is my first time using the poll setting so it might not be the best.

More than likely the chicks are coming from the same hatchery. Feed stores typically work with the closest one to minimize shipping stress. I would go with whomever has the healthiest chicks and more helpful and knowledgeable staff. I usually try to support my co op because it's a more direct support of local agriculture but they also don't sell chicks as long or have the selection a TSC has.

By me 'Big R' gets their chicks from 'townline' hatchery and' Farm and flee't from "cackle"
just ask where they get them from and look for reviews on those hatcheries
but a local breeder will usually have better birds.. hatcheries are like puppy mills, they just try to produce the most birds they can and not worry about quality... but for the typical back yard keeper they are fine

I don't have a TSC in my area, so all I have to go on is what I've read here.

Just from the posts here, I would not buy from TSC unless I were a very experienced chicken person, buying a very distinctive breed, one I could easily identify myself. Too many stories of mixed up chicks, mis labeled bins, etc.

My local Grange Co-op, on the other hand, is wonderful. Bins are marked, covered, no kiddos roaming around and playing mix and match with chicks. Each store has a pretty knowledgeable chicken person available, and I think there's a dedicated chick orderer who is available by phone. I can reserve specific breeds, I can tack an order onto one of theirs. they have wonderful customer service and my chicks from them are all nice and healthy.

sheesh, I've just about talked myself into getting down to the Grange and seeing what chicks they have
lol.png

But, keep in mind, all these stores get their chicks from the large hatcheries. So, it's not like you're really getting a better quality animal from one place or the other, the chicks themselves are going to be pretty much the same. The difference is in getting what you pay for, and the customer service.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I'm going to go with Co-op, though I might go look back at TSC before the final decision.

I have bought chicks from TSC 3 or 4 times..All have been healthy. That being said, depending on your store, you may not get correct breed. Alot depends on workers being knowledge when shipment arrives and how there last shipment sold. This year I purchased ducks from there cuz they had a bigger variety. All have done quite well, but while I was there their chickens were mixed because they didn't have room for new ones that came that day and there were about 3 drown chicks in one bin..It was heartbreaking. They obviously we're not ready for the new shipment. I know they got them that day due to shipment boxes sitting there with a couple dead also. I have had much better luck last few years with Rural King as they have had more variety, healthier set up, and all my chicks have been properly sexed and correct breed. I almost wanted to buy a batch from TSC that day just because they were obviously overrun and had no idea what they were doing, I felt sorry for the lil peeps. I did however rescue 6 ducks, and I truly consider it a rescue,as did the other person that was with me that day.

Back
Top Bottom