1ST TIME CHICKEN HATCHER

gunnit

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2015
Hey guys, I'm a first time chicken hatcher via incubator. I've read so many stories about washing eggs versus not washing eggs for hatching and I'm left just as unsure as I was when I first started researching. Sooo..... I'm going to do a step by step on the eggs that we'll be hatching and how were going to do it.

Right now we get between 20 - 35 eggs daily. Some are dirty and some are not.

I'll be setting my eggs in the GQF 1502 incubator today. The ones that "look" clean will go in the incubator as is. The dirty eggs with poop and mud stains on them will be cleaned in three controls:

1) Straight water
2) Water and bleach (1TBSP BLEACH PER GAL.)
3) Brinsea solution (PER DIRECTION)

Anyway here a are a few pics of the eggs we have so far

P.S. NO EGGS ARE OVER TEN DAYS OLD

S)

Hey guys, I'm a first time chicken hatcher via incubator. I've read so many stories about washing eggs versus not washing eggs for hatching and I'm left just as unsure as I was when I first started researching. Sooo..... I'm going to do a step by step on the eggs that we'll be hatching and how were going to do it.

Right now we get between 20 - 35 eggs daily. Some are dirty and some are not.

I'll be setting my eggs in the GQF 1502 incubator today. The ones that "look" clean will go in the incubator as is. The dirty eggs with poop and mud stains on them will be cleaned in three controls:

1) Straight water
2) Water and bleach (1TBSP BLEACH PER GAL.)
3) Brinsea solution (PER DIRECTION)

Anyway here a are a few pics of the eggs we have so far

P.S. NO EGGS ARE OVER TEN DAYS OLD

S)

OK---keep us informed. Your eggs are not dirty enough for me to even worry about them----I would just hatch them.

Heres my results. I wrote a long post and it deleted itself so...heres a pic...more are hatching as we speak. A pic of 80 chicks so far.

Last edited:

Would I be out of line making a suggestion? You might not be planning on keeping them in the totes, I don't know, but there isn't enough room in there for them to get away from the heat of the light. The way they are clinging to the sides avoiding the center says to me that they are too hot and trying to get as far from the heat as they can.

Would I be out of line making a suggestion? You might not be planning on keeping them in the totes, I don't know, but there isn't enough room in there for them to get away from the heat of the light. The way they are clinging to the sides avoiding the center says to me that they are too hot and trying to get as far from the heat as they can.

Shucks no! Speak your mind at all times. Were here to help each other...and you were right too hot....I adjusted it right after I posted the pic.

Shucks no! Speak your mind at all times. Were here to help each other...and you were right too hot....I adjusted it right after I posted the pic.
You will be a Lucky person if alot of those are not dead by morning----way to hot and way to many in those totes----raise the lights so its no more than 100 in the hottest part of the light right now till you get something together.. If you have to Put down news paper on your floor and make walls out of something about 2ft tall for the night----cardboard boxes taped/stapled together/plywood/boards---hang the lights high enough that the hottest part of the light is about 100 degree's---do the lights just on each end if you got it long enough that the middle is cool have food and water in the cool area. You really gotta do something. I have 115 in this and it works good---just a idea.

I can put about 200 in this plywood box its 3ft x 8ft x 2ft deep

Last edited:
Hey PD THX for sharing pics of your brooder! I like the sand idea....i might try sand it in future. And I didnt loose any last night and added another 61 today bringing the today to 141 and there is 6 still in the hatcher.
I had a brooder previously but I needed to clean it and make a few adjustments to it , and walllah!!!!

Back
Top Bottom