TJ's fertilized eggs n' stuff

FATICKEN

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2017
Did anyone ever buy those fertilized eggs from Trader Joe's? I bought a few. They're under Baldy, my Buff Orpington hen right now. What kind of chicken is the egg gonna hatch out? Also, do they have a specific gender, or is it random? 'Cause we can't have roosters here in San Jose. Thanks for any help, no matter how unhelpful.

PS I didn't mean that sometimes people give unhelpful help, really. Sometimes people just give wrong answers, but someday they might actually be helpful... sorry, I just felt like typing a bunch
duc.gif
hu.gif
(so many cool "smileys" heh heh) So thanks. Yeah.

tongue2.gif
I'm probably gonna post a pic o' them when they hatch, but I might be too lazy.

THANKS! I already have an idea... I'm gonna give the roosters to a friend. She's insane about my chickens, and her birthday is comin'! I put, like, 3 more eggs under her (the hen) just in case. She's not eating much. Is that okay? I'm kind of worried. So, um, can you tell me? Thx.

Broody hens don't eat much. usually once a day, mine get off the nest. They dust bathe, eat and drink like they're starving, chase the other birds around, and take the biggest, nastiest, smelliest poop you've ever seen
sickbyc.gif
. Then back on the nest, it only takes about 20 minutes. A lot of folks miss it and think the hen never leaves, but they do.

I don't think she went down at all because my father was at home the whole time and he said that she didn't. When we sort of just stuck food under her nose, she ate like a mad hen who didn't eat anything for DAYZ. I know that they say that Buff Orpingtons are good mothers, but this is a little too over the top... don't ya think? (sorry if I'm bothersome with my slang typing and my q's) She's my favorite hen, and if anything happens to her... well, nothing's gonna happen to her. Thanks for any help.

Don't feed her on the nest. She physically needs to get off the nest, move around, drink, dust bathe, etc. All those things are just as vital as eating.

If you're really concerned she's not getting up, boost her off. You'll probably need to physically pick her up and carry her several feet away from the nest. She'll act weird for a few minutes, like she's a zombie or something, still in the broody trance. She'll come out of it, do her things listed above, then go back to the nest.

If she is getting off on her own and you're not seeing it, taking her off once a day isn't going to hurt anything. The eggs will be just fine.

OK. I'm gonna try it. I also have another question not related to broodiness, so yeah: I watch Becky's Homestead on Youtube, and she says to feed your chickens whole corn. I tried to feed my chickens some, but they just pecked at it once and ignored it. (I feed them by hand, but once they try to get the corn into their mouths (beaks) they spit in onto the ground and ignore it) They're only 1 year old (B-Day's are on the leap day) and I'm not sure if they can swallow the whole whole corn. This is the link:
at around 2:56. Our chickens aren't laying many eggs, but they're not molting or anything. Is there anything I can do to: 1. Help them eat whole corn, or 2. Have them lay more eggs (like, be healthy and be able to lay eggs)? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom