Tiny house.. thing

abigalerose

Songster
Feb 22, 2016
Okay so I know I should post this on sufficient self but I can never get it to work right on my phone so I'm posting here.

I have my own house but I spend more time at my parents and grandparents house (like ALOT more time) and I have my horses, cow and chickens at my grandparents and my dogs travel with me wherever I go, so basically there is no point in me having a whole entire house (im talkin two stories, 4 bedrooms), I'm only at my house maybe once a week, for a few hours just to check on everything.
So I want to build a "tiny house" (aka glorified bedroom) and put it at my parents. I don't need any advice on zoning and laws or the sewer, water, and power. That's covered already.
I'm just hoping to talk to some people that's maybe built something like this before.
My plan is to do, roughly, a 10 x 12 building with a small bathroom (toilet, pedestal sink, stand up old wash tub shower), a "kitchenette" (a cabinet with a small sink, an upper cabinet, a microwave and mini fridge) since I never cook anyways and may just need an occasional snack when I'm there, and then my bed.
So basically I want to build a disconnected master bedroom lol.
Has any one ever built anything similar to this before?
I would love to see pictures.
And I already know the cost to buy or build the shell, but I'm trying to figure a ball park cost for the inside if I keep it simple, so insulation, sheet rock, wiring, flooring, etc.

I can't really help, but the nice thing is that you can always move it later, too,

Are you buying the shell or building it? I see there are DIY tiny homes so I was wondering if that is the route you are going.

I already have the shell, it's just a shed, my dad got it cheap a couple years ago and said I can use it. I've been doing lots of research and jouned some tiny house groups, and I think as long as I keep it simple (not that I have much choice there, it's smaller than my bedroom lol) I can do it for $1,000-$2,000.
And exactly! If I buy my own land some day I'll just move my house to it lol. Maybe I'll do something bigger someday, but since I'm rarely home I don't see why I'd need to now

I would also check craigslist and Restore, if you have one near you, for cheap or free leftover supplies. It can be hit or miss, of course. I would elevate it and build a crawl space underneath, if possible, to make electrical and plumbing work easier, unless they will just go right through the wall of the shed to a pump house perhaps? But the wastewater still needs to be able to gravity feed. Are you planning to make your electrical wiring within the walls or outside of the walls?

You probably already considered it, but how about an RV? It will come with plumbing, electrical, AC, heat, stove, fridge, and maybe satellite hookups. An older one won't be expensive. You could even live in it while you build your place and sell it when you are done.

If you build a tiny house, be sure and build it with moving it in mind. (wheel attachment, tow points, width and height restrictions, etc.....)

You probably already considered it, but how about an RV? It will come with plumbing, electrical, AC, heat, stove, fridge, and maybe satellite hookups. An older one won't be expensive. You could even live in it while you build your place and sell it when you are done.

If you build a tiny house, be sure and build it with moving it in mind. (wheel attachment, tow points, width and height restrictions, etc.....)

I was going to suggest that but then she said she already has the "shell" of it. I too think the RV thing is the easiest option, really.

Eh, already tried the camper/rv option.
I don't like it for two reasons.
1. Something ALWAYS needs fixed or is leaking on a camper, and it seems like no matter how many times you seal the roof water will find a way in, and some of the camper parts that can't be replaced with normal house stuff are really expensive
2. I'm kind of OCD about things and hate to live in something where you can see the tires, underneath, axel, etc., I like perfect squares

That's cool. There are some things I would consider.

Make it modular, so that if you wanted more room you could just join another building to one side. (You could move them separately.)

Make a semi permanent detachable patio cover to use as a covered porch.

You might want to copy some RV features. (power, water, and sewage hookups......maybe 12V wiring for remote living, LED lights)

Include a slight pitch on the roof and use a metal roof. It's lighter weight than shingles and will travel better.(Sounds cool when it rains.)

We built my son a 10 x 12 guesthouse a couple of years back...with an upstairs. It's dark outside now or I would go take some pictures. The upstairs is actually 12x16 because it goes over the front and makes a porch. We don't have plumbing going to it, but a bathroom could easily be put in under the loft steps. It cost us about $7000 to build though, but in Canada we can't get away with just a shed structure, it won't hold a snow load well enough to be trusted as a living space.
Ours is drywalled, but because we didn't heat it this year the corners of the drywall have tape coming loose. I will be adding pine to the walls as accents to hide this.
I will try and remember to take pictures for you tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom