Pheasant questions

chicksducks1

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2017
I'm thinking about adding maybe some new birds into my flock, I was thinking about maybe some Pheasants. However my questions are what do you guys uses your Pheasants for? Pets, eggs meat etc. Also, do you keep your pheasants in with other bird types like chickens or ducks? What's everyone's experience with rasing them? I have done a little research but I'd like other people's opinions since they aren't as popular as other birds. Thanks!

I'm thinking about adding maybe some new birds into my flock, I was thinking about maybe some Pheasants. However my questions are what do you guys uses your Pheasants for? Pets, eggs meat etc. Also, do you keep your pheasants in with other bird types like chickens or ducks? What's everyone's experience with rasing them? I have done a little research but I'd like other people's opinions since they aren't as popular as other birds. Thanks!

Raising some for sell, and the same with the guinea's, same for the chickens. Can not free range them here.

Raising pheasants can be extremly rewarding, frustrating, and down right mind boggling at times. I raise them to keep pure lines of these beautiful birds from disappearing. Most are threaten or endangered, while some are "holding their own" in their country of origin. With their habitat being destroyed and encroached on by ever expanding population, I feel we have a responsibility to the various species of pheasants, to keep them pure so future generations can enjoy these beautiful birds.
I wouldn't recommend raising pheasants with other poultry. Chickens in particular, have diseases that they can tolerate but will kill a pheasant. Pheasants also require more space than chickens and other poultry.
Start out with a relatively easy to raise species, learn all you can before attempting to raise the more demanding species. There are many great books about pheasants, also the internet and if you can find a reputable breeder...."pick their brain". Good Luck in your endeavors.

Last edited:
Raising pheasants can be extremly rewarding, frustrating, and down right mind boggling at times. I raise them to keep pure lines of these beautiful birds from disappearing. Most are threaten or endangered, while some are "holding their own" in their country of origin. With their habitat being destroyed and encroached on by ever expanding population, I feel we have a responsibility to the various species of pheasants, to keep them pure so future generations can enjoy these beautiful birds.
I wouldn't recommend raising pheasants with other poultry. Chickens in particular, have dieases that they can tolerate but will kill a pheasant. Pheasants also require more space than chickens and other poultry.
Start out with a relatively easy to raise species, learn all you can before attempting to raise the more demanding species. There are many great books about pheasants, also the internet and if you can find a reputable breeder...."pick their brain". Good Luck in your endeavors.

Spot on again Sean.Take Seans advice he is very knowledgeable and gives good sound advice that if followed will help keep and preserve pheasant species for the future.Lots of species are in trouble and it is up to us to keep them around for generations to enjoy in pure form!
In N.H.,Tony.

​Spot on again Sean.Take Seans advice he is very knowledgeable and gives good sound advice that if followed will help keep and preserve pheasant species for the future.Lots of species are in trouble and it is up to us to keep them around for generations to enjoy in pure form!
In N.H.,Tony.
Thanks for the kudos, Tony! Back at you though, your also very knowledgeable and give sound advice. I feel that by giving my advice to "new pheasant fanciers", maybe they can avoid the mistakes I've made over the years of raising these beautiful birds.

Back
Top Bottom