Orpingtons

msarnold

Hatching
Mar 15, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I have access to 6 male 6 month old Orpingtons. I'm told they are 8-8.5#. Would these be ok as meat birds? What are your thoughts or experience with this breed?

I have 3 buff Orpingtons and they are 3 months old and already weigh 2 pounds, but with all their feathers, they are the same size as my full grown Silkie chicken! :) I have read so much about all breeds and buff Orpingtons! Buff Orpingtons are dull purpose! They are good for eggs and meat. They say rule of thumb, if they are 6 pounds or 6 months old, you can go ahead and cull, kill, them and eat them or you can wait a little longer if you want to see how big they'll get! :)

http://www.bootsandchickenpoop.wix.com/mysite

6 months of age will be a little old for frying birds. But make great crockpot, roasting, baking, or smoking birds. Low and slow heat with older than 4 month birds.

welcome-byc.gif

They should be wonderful.

I agree, too old for fryers. Maybe a bit old for roasters, depending. But cut them up and crockpot them and pull the meat for casseroles, pot pie, chicken salad, tacos, ect and you'll have some good eatin'
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom