Old Spot/Berkshire feeder pigs

RedemptionFarm

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2017
I'm thinking about getting feeder pigs for the first time. They would be an old Spot/Berkshire mix. I'm wondering if anyone has tasted this type of pig before and if it tasted good.

Pork is pork. The only pork a person is likely to have issue with the flavor is meat from an old boar. I'm not familiar with the Spot, but we butchered a Berkshire once. He was quite tasty.

I think a lot depends on how sensitive your taste buds are. Some folks swear there are differences in different breeds of pigs. Personally, I guess I have insensitive taste buds. I'm with Cassie, pork is pork. Now, I do like mine better than store bought most of the time, but as far as breed difference, I've never noticed a bit. I've not tried the Spots, they're not common to my area.

We do enjoy raising feeder pigs, they're a lot of fun to watch. Just keep in mind they're food, and don't get too attached!

The basis of our feed is commercial hog feed. We also supplement with scraps, eggs, things like that.

and, I know it's not for everyone, but we embrace that pigs are omnivores. Excess cockerels, junk fish from the river, and squirrels caught in traps have all gone to the piggies. they love the extra protein, and I have a lovely disposal system in place.

I'd love to be someplace we could try pasturing our pigs, that's a future goal. But for now, they're pen raised with a nice wallow area and always seem content.

Best thing we ever did was convert to the hog nipple waterers. Just hook up to a hose and they can water themselves. they did learn to "squirt" themselves, so there was still some mess, but nothing like trying to use a bowl/pan/bucket.

Feeders--we just use the classic two panel upright hog feeders. https://www.qcsupply.com/30480-galvanized-2-hole-feeder.html. One of those did fine for 3-4 hogs. We did 5 last year and bought a second one, put them back to back on some pallets to keep them elevated and out of potential mud, and make them easier to fill.

Back
Top Bottom