Neighbor complaining about feathers

Imfrankyj

Hatching
Mar 18, 2017
Hello all

We have a neighbor that is complaining about feathers blowing onto their land.

We all have about 4 acres each and are spaced out. We are out of the city limits and there are no covenants.

There are probably a few that have blown over there. It has been really windy.

They want us to split the cost to install mesh on our fence. It seems excessive. But they are worried about their dog eating one feather and dying.

Have. Any of you ran into similar issues? Any advise?

My dogs gnaw on feathers all the time, it isn't going to kill a dog to eat a feather. Sounds like you have unreasonable neighbors. If you are allowed chickens where you are at it isn't your problem in my opinion. If they need a fence they should install one. You can't control the wind.

Do you want to maintain peace with this neighbor or do you care at all about that? I ask, because frankly, my first inclination given this particular complaint would be to tell said neighbor to pack sand. I mean, honestly, the amount of feathers likely to go from your property to their's is so minimal (outside of molt times) that it is just ridiculous - additionally, there is exactly ZERO risk of their dogs eating feather and dying. What about wild birds and their feathers? How do they keep those from getting onto their property?

Do you want to maintain peace with this neighbor or do you care at all about that?  I ask, because frankly, my first inclination given this particular complaint would be to tell said neighbor to pack sand.  I mean, honestly, the amount of feathers likely to go from your property to their's is so minimal (outside of molt times) that it is just ridiculous - additionally, there is exactly ZERO risk of their dogs eating  feather and dying.  What about wild birds and their feathers?  How do they keep those from getting onto their property?

:goodpost:

Do you want to maintain peace with this neighbor or do you care at all about that?  I ask, because frankly, my first inclination given this particular complaint would be to tell said neighbor to pack sand.  I mean, honestly, the amount of feathers likely to go from your property to their's is so minimal (outside of molt times) that it is just ridiculous - additionally, there is exactly ZERO risk of their dogs eating  feather and dying.  What about wild birds and their feathers?  How do they keep those from getting onto their property?

Would like to keep the peace but need to draw the line somewhere. We got rid of 3 Pekin ducks that seamed to be the main feather problem.

Also the have already taken their dog in to the vet because "it ate a feather and they had to remove it and watch the dog to see if it caught a disease from the dirty feather" haha. I'm probably more concerned about if their dog does die who they blame and they might try to sue.

They complain about having to see our bright white camper when they eat breakfast. It's a few hundred feet away. If that helps paint the picture.

It doesn't matter I f you draw a line. For they sound like habitual line steppers. The only way to deal with them is to not deal with them at all.

Almost forgot to mention :welcome

Last edited:
Would like to keep the peace but need to draw the line somewhere. We got rid of 3 Pekin ducks that seamed to be the main feather problem.

Also the have already taken their dog in to the vet because "it ate a feather and they had to remove it and watch the dog to see if it caught a disease from the dirty feather" haha. I'm probably more concerned about if their dog does die who they blame and they might try to sue.

They complain about having to see our bright white camper when they eat breakfast. It's a few hundred feet away. If that helps paint the picture.

Honestly - if they are *that* worried about it, *they* can fence to their little hearts' content.........but I'd be darned if a penny of it came from my pocket. Clearly they have a vet that saw a sucker coming and was more than happy to pander to their overactive imaginations about the dangers of a dog eating a feather.....

To me, it sounds like the neighbor is looking for someone to split the cost of the mesh fence with and blaming feathers seems like a good excuse to come after you. Honestly, like someone said, how do they keep wild birds from dropping feathers in their yard? I like keeping neighborly relations friendly, and if it is something in my power to do, I try to keep the peace; but push me and I can be a hard-nosed Yankee. (My husband calls it going "Yankee-bulldog" on them.) I guess the questions are: Will the neighbor push this all the way to court? Is the cost of half of the mesh fense more or less than the cost of a lawyer? If you're willing to go along with this, how far will they continue to push you with unreasonable demands and can you live with that? Four acres should be enough separation, for Pete's sake.

Me? I'd probably tell them -- in a very nice way -- if they want to pay for the DNA tests to prove that the feather removed from their dog was from one of my birds -- one test for each bird -- and if the result comes back positive on one of the birds, I'll have my lawyer contact their lawyer to reach an agreement about the cost of the fence. If they're bluffing or posturing, that'll likely get them to back off.

Oh, and I don't think for a second that the vet told them they had to watch the dog because it might get sick from the dirty feather. They might have taken the dog to the vet, but I believe the rest of the tale was made up by them.

Also, if you want/need additional leverage in the dispute, contact your state Board of Animal Health and ask about NPIP certification. The states handle it differently, but where I am, the testing and certification is free. You'll get a state-issued NPIP card for your flock that you can whip out to show your neighbor the next time they want to talk about 'dirty feathers'. (And yes, the certification only declares your flock is free of the specific things that they're tested for, but a health certificate is a health certificate when it comes to neighbor disputes like this.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom