Questions on isolating my pecked hen

miss_ellie

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
I have four hens - a RIR, a Polish, a Wyandotte and an Australorp. A couple of months ago the RIR started picking at the feathers on the Polish's head. I tried various suggestions - putting Vicks on the Polish to keep the RIR away, using Blu-Kote and Rooster Booster Pick No More. I didn't have much success so then put chicken peepers on the RIR. That seemed to be working, but now things have gone dowhill and the Polish is almost bald. Yesterday I took a portable pen and wrapped half with a tarp. I put the Polish in there for the day with food, water and a makeshift nest box. At night I put her back in the coop. I wanted to wait as long as I could so the others would be settled down, but ended up startling the poor Polish. Now I'm considering buying a small coop to keep her totally isolated, but have read posts where re-introducing her can be a problem.

I can't say for sure if the other two hens are also picking at her. My Polish is laying eggs and seems quite happy, even though she is having her feathers picked out. Once I isolated her all four became agitated. Would it be better to put peepers on the other two and put the Polish back in the coop?

I greatly appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Their sleeping area is about 2x4 with two nest boxes built on the outside of that. There is an enclosed run area that is 2x8x2 that leads to an eclosed pen that is 6x5x7. I let them range in a fenced area that is about 6x10x10 when I am home - anywhere from 2-4 hours daily.

Coop -At least 4 square feet per hen. More if they spend a lot of time in there due to cold weather.

Run - as much as you cam give them. At least 25 ft per bird. Some people say 10 feet but I always have issues with them getting bored and picking on the weakest one.

Back
Top Bottom