Best way to start over

mountainlily

Hatching
Apr 16, 2016
We had to sell our chickens when we moved from our last house due to being in a temporary place for a few months. We are getting ready to move into a permanent house and would like to get chickens asap. We disassembled the coop and brought it with us, so we have that. Last time we bought chickens that were about 18 months old. We're thinking of buying baby chicks this time. Advantages or disadvantages of either age? Or if we buy some older chickens and baby chicks, would that work? I'd like to avoid stressing either the older chickens or the young chicks when they are introduced to each other, so maybe this is not the best route?
If it matters, we had 12 chickens before, and the coop will easily accommodate more. 12 is the minimum # we'd need. (We have a large family.)

Advantages of grown birds: eggs right away....no waiting 5-6 months for eggs.
Disadvantages: birds might be older than you were told they were when you got them and have a shorter laying age...price of birds will be higher up front as you will be paying for someone else to raise them up to laying age.

Advantages of chicks: you pick the ones you want and you know just what you are getting...will likely bond with you better than established birds.
Disadvantages: the wait time for the birds to grow up and start producing eggs....the feed cost to get them raised up...taking care of them in the brooder stage.

It is possible and easy to intro new birds into the flock - most BYCers do it every year. Here's an article that describes how to integrate new birds:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

Best wishes to you!

Advantages of grown birds: eggs right away....no waiting 5-6 months for eggs.
Disadvantages: birds might be older than you were told they were when you got them and have a shorter laying age...price of birds will be higher up front as you will be paying for someone else to raise them up to laying age.

Advantages of chicks: you pick the ones you want and you know just what you are getting...will likely bond with you better than established birds.
Disadvantages: the wait time for the birds to grow up and start producing eggs....the feed cost to get them raised up...taking care of them in the brooder stage.

It is possible and easy to intro new birds into the flock - most BYCers do it every year. Here's an article that describes how to integrate new birds:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

Best wishes to you!
Good Pros and Cons^^^

I'll add to the cons....anything other than chicks from a hatchery could come with pests/diseases.
It's what happened to me, was relatively minor rather than devastating, but still something to weight in on.

Eggs right away...or not.... is usually the decision maker.
Best of cLuck!

If you get point of lay pullets, you know they are female. Anything other than a sex link baby chick might be male.

You have the knowledge and equipment to handle older chickens. You will have a learning curve and may need equipment and facilities to brood chicks.

Getting chicks from a hatchery is about as close to a guarantee that you can get that they will not bring any disease or parasite issues with them. Getting older chickens can have biosecurity risks, but that is not as big a deal if you don’t already have chickens.

I vote for the mix. The older hens who will lay this summer, get chicks, by the time the chicks are coming on to lay, you can cull some of the older birds. However, I think personally it seems like it takes 40 years for chicks to start laying eggs... I mean I know it doesn't, but it seems like that.

I am having very good luck with a lattice pen as a one way gate with chicks and hens. I am going to post a picture tomorrow.

Mrs K

I vote for the mix. The older hens who will lay this summer, get chicks, by the time the chicks are coming on to lay, you can cull some of the older birds. However, I think personally it seems like it takes 40 years for chicks to start laying eggs... I mean I know it doesn't, but it seems like that.

I am having very good luck with a lattice pen as a one way gate with chicks and hens. I am going to post a picture tomorrow.

Mrs K
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom