OMG Becky! #UNO

osteo16

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2017
Southern Indiana
Well, I like eggs. I wanted some eggs and the best place I know to get eggs is in a chicken. So, I did my homework, and BYC was a great place for me to find my inner chicken. Long story short, this will be a multi entry "blog" on my chicken raising/lifestyle change. I hope you enjoy following it as much as I will living it. ..... Day 14, research done and it's time to get chicks. RK with the fam and I hope the half dozen we got from the straight run side aren't all Roos!!!! Who woulda known ? I missed that part on chick selection... Anyway, we leave the store with chicks, starter feed, feeder, and waterer, hmmm am I forgetting something. Oh yeah, heat bulbs, heat lamps, cedar shavings, JK pine. Ok, off we go to set up shop... How about that toy storage container in the back yard that is going to the dump, what a great idea. So we repurposed that with some lights and have a happy brooder so far. Only lost one chick, my daughter picked out all the smallest pullets, and one runt didn't quite have the stamina. Poor Eddy, RIP. We buried him next to the dog and the two cats that preceded him in death. Yes we have a pet cemetery at this point. So here's some pics and feel free to comment at will. Ill be updating this post weekly on Sunday's. Hope you enjoy following our journey to Eggdom !!!

Next up... Clearing the coop plot.

It's nice to see kids involved in raising poultry...it can be a great hobby for the whole family. Sorry about Eddy, that happens sometimes. But it sounds like the rest are off to a good start!

Another week has passed.. The chickens now only owe me 60 dozen eggs to break even, but that's just labor and materials.. So we had to re-zone today, little buggers are growing faster than i thought, I can't even imagine how fast meat chickens grow. So we added on another 6 square feet or so with a perch, they been using the water top a lot. We will see if the accommodations are acceptable. No refunds by the way.. They shoulda read the fine print. We also took a little stroll outside for the first time. The dog was a bit enthusiastic but we let him roam a bit to get acquainted, he just seems to want to put one in his mouth and run.. We will have to work on that the next few months.. Also started foundation work on the Coop Cottage.. Hope it will provide endless tranquillity and joy to my feathered friends in hopes of copious amounts of delightful egggs!!! Here's a few pics till next week..
[/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom