Gaps in wood flooring

chickens r life

Songster
Apr 13, 2015
The Golden State
Hi everyone,
There are large gaps between the 2x6s in my coop flooring. The shavings I use are slipping through the gaps making a mess underneath my coop. Do you know of anything I can seal the gaps with?

Thanks

Huh, ours is like this by design. You can just scrape anything through. It only gets to 20F at most in winter, though- birds sleep outside most of the time.

Huh, ours is like this by design. You can just scrape anything through. It only gets to 20F at most in winter, though- birds sleep outside most of the time.

Our coop is 7x8 feet and is raised about 8 inches off the ground. It is tedious trying get all of the shavings out from underneath the coop. To make things worse, when it rains, all of the water and shavings/manure combined makes a horrible smell. I image it will just be easier to clean in general once the gaps are sealed.

Oh, 8 inches would be tough, we have 2 feet or so, the shovel fits easily, and the entire run is raised sloping toward the surrounding land- so water doesn't really sit on it, and it dries quickly.

Not exactly sure if I understand you correctly, but for the cracks in between, the sub flooring is a great idea. My husband does rubber roofing and that comes in handy. As far as the issue underneath, can you set it up a little higher with cement blocks?

Back
Top Bottom