Integrating New with Old

SteveMadonnaJ

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
I am in the process of obtaining 5 Red Sex Links to integrate in with my current flock of 8 RIR (1 being a Roo). All the Sex links have been vaccinated for Newcastle, Bronchitis, Fowl Pox, Bovine, A.E., L.T., and Marek's Disease. Would it still be wish to keep the new separate from the old for a few days until they get used to each other? Or bring the Sex Link in at night while the others are roosting?

I am in the process of obtaining 5 Red Sex Links to integrate in with my current flock of 8 RIR (1 being a Roo). All the Sex links have been vaccinated for Newcastle, Bronchitis, Fowl Pox, Bovine, A.E., L.T., and Marek's Disease. Would it still be wish to keep the new separate from the old for a few days until they get used to each other? Or bring the Sex Link in at night while the others are roosting?
How old are the RSL's?
CTKen has given you good links to several integration techniques.
Biological quarantine might still be a good idea, not sure the risk of vaccinated birds with your existing flock.
Were your existing birds all vaccinated for those things?
Curious where you are located in the world to get all those vacc's.

How old are the RSL's?
Were your existing birds all vaccinated for those things?
Curious where you are located in the world to get all those vacc's.

aart,

The RSL's will be about 14 wks old
The RIR's that I currently have, I have had since they were small chicks and have never been vaccinated?
I live in Lexington, NC and the place I am buying the RSL's automaticallyvaccinate all their birds prior to selling

I have added to my flock twice and find the slow introduction with "see but don't touch" is a great way to get them used to one another without anyone getting injured. Once they have a few weeks to hang a round each other without any contact, I sneak the new girls in at night when the older hens are sleepy and less prone to pecking. I usually wait until the new hens are pretty good sized, nearly as big as my current girls before they go into the coop together.

Back
Top Bottom