chicken vests?

Miss Cosmo

Hatching
Mar 21, 2017
Hello! Has anyone tried any of the chicken vests to protect against hawks? We have a large flock of free range chickens, several roosters, but today my daughter's pampered hen was nearly picked off by a redtail. Have had no issue for a very long time but now I'm a little concerned. We also have a few Embdon geese who roam the property and up until now I thought we were fairly safe. No lectures on the "free range" thing please, just would love to know what anyone else has tried with some success! Thanks!!

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry! I havent tried those. Are they supposed to slip off when the chicken is picked up or something?

I think they just make it more difficult for the chicken to be picked up. I don't think it will prevent a hawk from breaking a chicken's neck, though. I have seen some vests with the "scarey eyes" on the back. Lol!

I use to live in the UK and they sell little reflector vests for their chickens....so they won't get hit when they wander out on to the road (of course when you take Driver's Ed, they also tell you not to stop or swerve for anything smaller than a dog! But that is a whole other debate) I am just getting chickens and only getting 3 or 4....and you have given me a crazy idea: how about a little vest with a few little mirrors glued on? Or something equally as reflective but lighter??? Since I only will have 3 or 4, I could take them off when they are in the coop? Not sure if wearing a vest all the time would be a great thing? Could make it out of mesh if you live somewhere like Texas where it is extremely hot all the time. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom