Bird bath?

L2fly

Chirping
Mar 19, 2017
Central Valley, CA
Hi All, I'm prepping for my first backyard chickens, and was wondering about the wild bird bath in my backyard. I keep it clean (bleaching it weekly) as I've been warned wild animals can pass things to my dogs in contaminated water, but I was wondering, will I better serve my chickens by taking away any incentive for wild birds to hang out in my backyard with them? The bird bath isn't in the run or anything, but I hope to let my chickens free range every now and then.

TIA!

It's always recommended to do all you can to keep wild birds away from your flock because they can bring in diseases, but so can the wind.

That being said I can't keep the sparrows out of my large shed, just keep them from nesting in it. I feed wild birds during the winter and encourage them in my yard. Removing your bird bath probably won't keep birds out of your yard. As far as the dog, mine like drinking from the worst looking water they can fine outside.

So if it worries you, remove it, otherwise I would leave it, but I accept the risks, and know that I can't really prevent everything.

Well my yard is teeming with wild birds, so 1 birdbath isn't going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things IMO. I also have a birdbath, as well as hummingbird feeders, bird feeders, plus a creek and pond with wild ducks, coots, geese, and a heron. Think I've seen a cormorant recently as well. So far everything's been fine (not that I can do anything about the water birds) but I don't let my chickens free range either, so that might make a difference.

Removing a bird bath isn't going to hold back the tide of wild birds and nature.

There are people that will tell you otherwise, but unless you build a lock-down, hermetically sealed building, you can't negate the risks associated with free-ranging and wild birds comingling.

That's an irrefutable fact. As much as some people don't want it to be.

I think we can see that with multiple large producers currently have problems with the bird flu, that sealing up buildings and attempting the keep birds safe doesn't actually work out.

Back
Top Bottom