Half torn comb

babsi

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2016
Beautiful NW

Ok. So. I came out to the coop and there was blood splattered all over the feeder and waterer. Then this hen kept shaking her head and that's when I noticed she was bleeding from the head. None of my other three had blood on their beaks or feathers. I got a towel and soapy water to clean her up. Then I noticed it kept bleeding. It took at least 30 min to stop after I kept applying a ton of cornstarch. Put her in a kennel in the garage. Husband came home and with his flashlight we discovered that the back of her comb is torn upward. You can see the what appears to be the bone of her head. It's about half inch wide. I think she got it caught in the hardware cloth and rip it to get out. It's the only logical explanation I can come up with. I applied more cornstarch and just checked on her after an hour and it's not bleeding. So.... Now what? How long do I keep her in the garage? How and when do I clean the wound? Or do I leave it alone? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you have cleaned it up well.

Apply some triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the wound. If you have a wire dog kennel that you can cage her in next to the flock (in the run/coop) that would work well. This way she stays part of the flock while she is healing.

If it still looks bloody, you can apply some Blu-Kote to help hide the wound as well. Depending on how much it ripped, the comb probably won't reattach - personally I would let it "flop" if it's not too bad and doesn't bother her. If it become a problem then you can always cut off (dub) the piece later.

Thanks for the tip. She's in a large wire cage now and we will move it outside in the morning. I had to apply so much cornstarch that it was impossible to add any nesporin to the wound. Is there an easy way to wash the head tomorrow? Or leave it alone? I forgot to mention that she was also bleeding from her comb. It looked like a raw fleshy mess.

Thanks for the tip. She's in a large wire cage now and we will move it outside in the morning. I had to apply so much cornstarch that it was impossible to add any nesporin to the wound. Is there an easy way to wash the head tomorrow? Or leave it alone? I forgot to mention that she was also bleeding from her comb. It looked like a raw fleshy mess.
You can try washing it with soap/water or flush it with saline. Let it dry then you can apply some Blu Kote or triple antibiotic ointment. Usually comb injuries heal fairly well, but they do bleed a lot.

I cleaned her up this morning with warm water. I would recommend not doing this by yourself! I applied Neosporin and put her out with the others in the yard. They are together and I will keep an eye on the comb. If it is not bleeding she will stay out there. Thanks for all your help!!!!

I cleaned her up this morning with warm water. I would recommend not doing this by yourself! I applied Neosporin and put her out with the others in the yard. They are together and I will keep an eye on the comb. If it is not bleeding she will stay out there. Thanks for all your help!!!!
LOL Yes, an extra pair of hands is ideal when dealing with chickens
smile.png

I hope all goes well, keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom