Please Help My Poor Hen!

juliebrown

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2015
We have 4 different hens, all just over a year old. In the last two months, one of them has started to get picked on. The others are eating her feathers off her head/neck/chest and back side (from what I can tell). There has been no major disruption to their home or diet or anything like that. I read it could be low protein so I have given them various protein treats along the way like tuna fish, yogurt, etc. I have used the medicated ointment Rooster Booster which doesn't seem to do a thing except make our poor Red Bird look silly. I think I know who the leader of the pack is, but they all seem to get along really well. I have witnesses 2 of the other 3 nipping a neck feather so I don't think it is just one bully. All other three have the most full amazing feathers and then there is this scrappy looking lady. She has some tiny new feathers growing in on her neck/head but I think the others must break them off as soon as they are long enough to do so. I don't know what else to do, any help?

Well any places on the submissive hen that are red, bloody or bare (or places they target), I would spray with anti pecking spray or prefably use Stockholm Tar. They particularly won't like the taste of the tar (plus it acts as anticepitic on any injuries. She might be going through moult and others are going for her whilst shes low. You could try squirting bullies with the hose and also isolating the dominant birds individually that are leading the feather pecking - Time Out. If all of them are doing that, then you might need to take her out till she's recovered but reintroduction will be tricky. Poultry Spice in their food is supposed to help during moult or times of stress.

Thank you! It is odd because they all tromp along together and seem very friendly. I can tell who the leader is but just barely. They don't pick on her when we are around...one time through a window I saw one nip a feather and I saw another time when I went to say goodnight to them and it was dark out so I don't think the picker saw me see her pick a feather in the night. Is that a tongue twister or what?! Ha. I will look into the blue vote and tar. I don't see any injuries other than the missing feathers, but maybe the Rooster Booster was helping her skin heal. I have heard that taking her out of the group to recover could lead to it being worse when she returns :/

Anyone used Pinless Peepers before? I just stumbled upon them in my online research...

Yes as previous poster mentioned - greens. It could be some sort of deficiency or boredom. Maybe cabbages or treats that are hung up that they need to work for.

Back
Top Bottom