Need your help on boxes in coop..

harleydee

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2017
I got this coop/run for a steal yesterday but it needs a little work. As you can see, I guess the previous owners had the nesting boxes on the side, against the wire and I don't like that really. I was hoping to build some boxes back in the coop.
What would you all do, build the boxes so that they sit at that top roosting pole? If I did that, could I come back later and add more boxes at the bottom?

7c026e5d57dedf8eb0a325472b4847b4.jpg

7fc51c6b51fd05bbb07d8dfaae8ceba5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would build them lower than the roosting pole or the nesting boxes are likely to become the roosting pole...
So what if I took out that top roosting pole then? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally, it's best to have the nesting boxes lower than the roost. Chickens tend to roost on the highest available object and if that is your nest box, they'll probably sleep and poop in them..

Ok, that top roosting pole is just pretty much directly over where the boxes will be. Will that be a big poop issue?

Well the hubby decided that he wanted to extend the nesting boxes out of the back of the coop.. And so he took my project away
1f606.png

Back
Top Bottom