Sick Tom

SowingTruths

Hatching
Mar 23, 2017
Hello, Happy Turkey People,
I've been searching the internet for hours trying to figure out what could be wrong with our broad breasted bronze tom turkey. Although I've learned a lot that I wished I already knew I still don't really know what is wrong with him.

I've had him since he was 2 days old, and he will be 1 year old on May 1st. He ALWAYS happily says hello before I even open the barn door, and then puffs himself up and does a little stomping dance while I get his food ready.

3 days ago he was still very vocal he wasn't puffed up and dancing. He did get up to eat but seemed sorta tired. Although I notice it I didn't really think much more about it then he must be tired.

The next day when I was walking out to the barn I didn't hear him. I was scared what I would find when I opened the door. Thankfully he was still alive and although very slow still got up for his food. I was worried but didn't really know what could be wrong so I left him be and did some research.

The next day (today) I found him laying in the corner half sleeping and uninterested that I was bringing him food. I sat down beside him to pet him and look him over and realized he was very lethargic. I got him to stand up and walk toward the food but he was very unstable on his feet so he decided to lay back down. I brought his food and water to him and he didn't want any.

So I made a make shift turkey pen in our bathroom to warm him up and give him a better look over. The first thing I noticed was he has lice, and his underside is missing a lot of feathers. He still didn't want any food or water but did appear to perk up some from what I think was the warmth of the bathroom.

It was a lot of lice, so we opted to dust with sevin because that's what my mother in law suggested, and it made us feel better to do something immediately. After reading mixed reviews of it I kinda wish I had used woodash or some other natural treatment.

He will not eat but did start drinking water on his own if we out bowl close enough for him to reach without having to stand up.

His poop is like white with the consistency of watery paint.

I'm not sure if he seems pale exactly but I don't think his face colors are as vivid as he usually is.

He does not have a running nose or any respiratory issues that are noticeable to my untrained senses.

I'm not sure what else to include. What little I've been able to find online about turkey health has only left me with more questions.

We have never had lice before. We started our micro farm in California and recently moved everyone (horse, goats, rabbit, tom turkey and chickens) to Michigan. Turkey harmoniously lives with chickens now.

Can lice cause all of his problems?

What else should I look for to figure this out?

How can I get him to eat?

We don't really know what we are doing. Haven't had any scary issues in out young farm life yet, thank God. Any other advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated by us all.

You need to cross post this over on the emergencies thread. Someone over there will help.

Thank you for suggesting that. I new to both navigating and posting on forums.

Welcome to BYC! Can you take him to a vet today? I'm afraid if you don' he will die. :( Regarding the lice... sick birds often have lice, and lice can make them sick, so hard to say which came first. If he were mine I would get him to a vet.

Back
Top Bottom