Storing Turkey eggs

freechickens1

In the Brooder
May 2, 2016
Hi,
My bourbon red turkeys have just started laying this year for the first time. I am getting around 2 eggs a day from them. I have three females and 1 male - except one of the females seems to be a slate and not a BBR. Anyhow, I brought 2 eggs in last night to start stocking up to incubate them - I aim to incubate about 12 and maybe a few more after these have been incubating. I understand that you shouldn't store eggs for longer than ten days. However, I only just read that they should be stored below 70F. My eggs have been around that overnight, will they still be fertile?
Best regards,
Finn

Hi,
My bourbon red turkeys have just started laying this year for the first time. I am getting around 2 eggs a day from them. I have three females and 1 male - except one of the females seems to be a slate and not a BBR. Anyhow, I brought 2 eggs in last night to start stocking up to incubate them - I aim to incubate about 12 and maybe a few more after these have been incubating. I understand that you shouldn't store eggs for longer than ten days. However, I only just read that they should be stored below 70F. My eggs have been around that overnight, will they still be fertile?
Best regards,
Finn

:welcome

I've had times where my temps during storing raised as high as 74F. I don't have a cool place to store. 2 years ago I did my first hatch with my own eggs, pullets, and the temps varied between 68-74 over the average. Had 100% rate with 20 eggs. I wouldn't want them getting any higher than that though. Above 80 and they can have sporadic development.

Back
Top Bottom