Mystery chick amoung cornish x

equinewiz

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2017
This is my first time raising chicks. 13 days ago I picked up 15 day-old Cornish cross chicks from my local agway. I am beginning to suspect one of them is not cornish cross because it is significantly smaller. It also seems to be calmer and eat less. At first I thought it was a female. Yesterday at a chick seminar someone suggested maybe it's just a runt. But here on day 13 I suspect it's more than that. That same day the store got the cornish x, they also got a batch of sexed white rocks. I'm thinking it may be a white rock. It's has blood spots so they are pecking at it which I know is really bad and I need to figure out what to do ASAP.
Looking for opinions on the breed and if it is another breed, any guesses on the sex?
If it's a female it means its a sign I should also raise layers which I had been torn on :) So I would just get a couple more female. If it's a male then I don't know what I'll do. I can't have roosters where I live. And this smaller chick is already getting pecked at.I guess it will be my first cull :/

Could be a runty Cornish Cross, but I'm also leaning toward White Rock. Too young to tell gender; we should have a better idea when it is 6-8 weeks old.

Last edited:
I don't really want to feed it for another 4 weeks only to find out it's a male and I can't keep it but it will still be too small to get decent meat from. Only think I can think of is trying to find it a home or experience the first death of my own chicken at my own hands. I wasn't expecting to it when it is still so young and cute. And I hate that I won't be able to use the meat :(

I don't really want to feed it for another 4 weeks only to find out it's a male and I can't keep it but it will still be too small to get decent meat from. Only think I can think of is trying to find it a home or experience the first death of my own chicken at my own hands. I wasn't expecting to it when it is still so young and cute. And I hate that I won't be able to use the meat :(

Perhaps it's just me, but it seems a waste to cull a chick on a 50/50 shot. If getting a few sexed pullet chicks to accompany it is an option, that is what i would do. If it's a hen, then by culling it you've wasted a good laying hen. Even if it does turn out to be a cockbird, it can still provide meat. I've eaten cockbirds as young as eight to ten weeks before. No, it's not a lot of meat, but it's meat nonetheless. Actually, if you grew it out to 16 or 18 weeks, it would be a decent little meal. I'm assuming you live in town and can't have cocks, and that's why you wish to cull it? Many cockbirds do not even crow until five or six months. By that age they are a hearty meal (though do mind, they will not taste like CX and are best cooked long and slow - with that said, "crockpot cockerel" is some of the best chicken I've ever had).

totally agree with Queen Misha, please don't cull it deciding it is a cockerel so young. Give it a chance. He explained well how to wait & decide. One little chick isn't going to eat much with those big bruisers around.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom