Are Quail considered poultry?

SpringChicken2

Chirping
Jan 8, 2017
Knoxville, Tennessee
Are quail considered poultry? I live in a neighborhood that has an hoa that doesn't allow poultry, and I was wondering if Quail count. I have already asked the hoa president about having chickens just to make sure, and he said No
1f62d.png

I think technically yes, but if you have them in a private backyard or garage no one could possibly know, unless they also had quail haha. They sound just like wild birds. My HOA says "no unusual pets". What unusual!? I find them completely normal and not unusual so I went for it :)

Strictly by definition quail are "poultry". Most HOAs introduce these rules to minimize noise for neighbors. You may want to try to make a case at the HOA meeting for quail keeping - in most cases people do need to be educated on what they are and differences between them and other poultry.

I reconginze them as song birds or game bid which is not named poultry.
That was my first thought and then I googled "poultry":
Poultry (/ˌpoʊltriː/) are domesticated birds kept by humans for the eggs they produce, their meat, or their feathers. These birds are most typically members of the superorderGalloanserae (fowl), especially the order Galliformes (which includes chickens, quails and turkeys). If there are ducks and or geese that are kept as pets they shall not be considered poultry unlike domesticated chickens. Poultry also includes other birds that are killed for their meat, such as the young of pigeons (known as squabs) but does not include similar wild birds hunted for sport or food and known as game. The word "poultry" comes from the French/Norman word poule, itself derived from the Latin word pullus, which means small animal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poultry

i too am wondering if they are classified as poultry as far as my province goes it says that only bob whites can be kept. but again this is in the wild life act.

Ok thanks for the Info, so how should I ask my hoa if Quail are allowed in my neighborhood? Like I said, I have already asked the hoa president about chickens, but I don't want to ask him again since he might get annoyed

I would prepare a proposal on paper and ask president/board of directors to review and comment. That is if you want an official Yes/No from your association.

Back
Top Bottom