Female or male

SilkieCharlie

Chirping
Mar 26, 2017
Hello everybody, I need help sexing my nearly 1 year old silkie.
I got 'him' April last year, he was sexed to be a female but I'm still confused as to what gender he is.
We also got 4 other silkies around the same time and they're all females and have been laying for months.
But I'm not sure about this one.
First of all the appearance: He seems to have a big comb and is a very large bird (compared to my females). Personality: I would say he's shy and submissive to the bigger laying hens (not silkies), he's always the last out of the coop and the last to eat. He often lays down or perches as oppose to pecking around.
He has never layed an egg as far as we know and has never crowed or displayed any beeding behaviour. He makes sounds similar to my girls and at times can be very vocal.
Here are some photos:

Next to my female:

Last edited:
Hello everybody, I need help sexing my nearly 1 year old silkie.
I got 'him' April last year, he was sexed to be a female but I'm still confused as to what gender he is.
We also got 4 other silkies around the same time and they're all females and have been laying for months.
But I'm not sure about this one.
First of all the appearance: He seems to have a big comb and is a very large bird (compared to my females). Personality: I would say he's shy and submissive to the bigger laying hens (not silkies), he's always the last out of the coop and the last to eat. He often lays down or perches as oppose to pecking around.
He has never layed an egg as far as we know and has never crowed. He makes sounds similar to my girls and at times can be very vocal.
He for sure looks like a rooster. but at a year old I would feel he would be trying to do some breeding and crowing??

Hi, after all the reading I've done what I found useful is to check the tail feathers and compare. Also the saddle may be different. What breed of chicken is it? Try to do a search on Google and a lot brings you right back here for the answer. I'm just a baby to this and we haven't finished our coop yet and our pullets are our first birds so I hope this may help you get answers!! Happy researching!
1f413.png
1f425.png

He definitely is a rooster!
He's been crowing on and off for around 1 week now, as hot weather started. He must be a late bloomer!
1f423.png
1f413.png
Thanks to everyone for their reply.

Back
Top Bottom