My parakeet is eggbound w soft egg

cicmic

Hatching
Mar 26, 2017
Hi, my parakeet is eggbound with a soft egg for over a month and a half now.. I have taken her to the vet, and they said she has a soft egg, but she was not yet in ciritical condition. I have given her calcium (with vit D) for a while now. But the egg doesnt seem to harden. She always ate a good diet, harrison pellets, dr harveys seeds, chia seeds, vegetables, big cage, flying space every day in the room.. What do I do? The doctor said he can try remove but its risky, so i hoped it will come to harden on its own. The bird still has a big appetite, she perches, poops and moves, but looks sick and very uncomfortable. Is there a chance that this egg will come out on its own? And if yes what else do i do to get it hard enough for it to pass? Can it pass when its soft?

Hi, my parakeet is eggbound with a soft egg for over a month and a half now.. I have taken her to the vet, and they said she has a soft egg, but she was not yet in ciritical condition. I have given her calcium (with vit D) for a while now. But the egg doesnt seem to harden. She always ate a good diet, harrison pellets, dr harveys seeds, chia seeds, vegetables, big cage, flying space every day in the room.. What do I do? The doctor said he can try remove but its risky, so i hoped it will come to harden on its own. The bird still has a big appetite, she perches, poops and moves, but looks sick and very uncomfortable. Is there a chance that this egg will come out on its own? And if yes what else do i do to get it hard enough for it to pass? Can it pass when its soft?

Sounds odd. I would join a budgie or parakeet forum and ask there. If you find out anything please post back what advice you were given.

My finch recently was egg bound, with a soft shell-less egg.
I would advise picking her up and feeling around her vent, see if you can help her push it out by massaging around that area

Back
Top Bottom