No Luck with Lavender

Black-Teacup

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2017
Idaho-ish
I have been trying to grow lavender for the last few years, but just can't seem to figure it out! I have tried from seeds and cuttings, starting inside and outside, and have yet to have any luck.
Any advice?

Honestly I just buy the started plants that come in 4" to 1 gal pots and plunk them into the ground. Most lavender seems to do best being ignored and prefers drier conditions.

I used to do amazing with lavender, but recently( Like a month ago but oh well) bought some seeds and tried growing them with no luck. I started them indoors too, and followed what I usually do, with more dry soil and good drainage. I guess either I off balanced soil or got some bad seeds.

We start from seeds outdoors, but the germination rate is poor for many varieties. Are you making sure that the seeds are stratified properly? Lavender wants to experience the cold of winter - I've seen recommendations to start them in the fridge (in soil). And it can take forever... We got 4 healthy adult plants from a pack of seeds once the chickens tore up the bed.
roll.png
Hope that helps, good luck!

Last edited:
It's really easy, once you know how.

Lavender thrives in the Mediterranean. It loves to be hot and DRY. It prefers to grow in sand or gravel and will often self-seed onto a gravel pathway and thrive there, whilst sulking in the flower bed which has nutritious soil.

My plants always used to die after a couple of years and I always wondered why. When I learned what it likes, I planted mine close to the house in builder's sand and it has been happy there for years!

Munstead is a good, hardy variety that has done well for me, Hidcote is another. Some are not hardy for me in zone 5B, so hardiness is always something to consider when choosing a variety.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom