May Hatch-a-long! ~ 6th Annual Cinco de Mayo Hatch-a-long! ~

Pics

Manningjw

Crowing
11 Years
Oct 5, 2011
Shoreline, Washington
It's time to start preparing for the 6th Annual Cinco de Mayo Hatch-a-long!

All fowl are welcome! A list of respective set dates is below(thanks to Chookschick). The set date for Chicken eggs is April 14th! Many people have used this hatch to start growing out Turkeys for Thanksgiving!

Fowl

Days of Incubation

Set Date

Stop Turning At Day

Hatch Date

Chicken

14-Apr

Day 18

5-May

Turkey

7-Apr

Day 25

5-May

Duck

7-Apr

Day 25

5-May
Duck (Muscovy)

30-Mar

Day 31

5-May
Goose

3-Apr

Day 25

5-May
Guinea Fowl

7-Apr

Day 25

5-May
Peafowl

6-Apr

Day 25

5-May
Pheasant

10-Apr

Day 21

5-May
Quail

12-Apr

Day 20

5-May
Coturnix Quail

18-Apr

Day 15

5-May
Chukar

12-Apr

Day 20

5-May

My first and still favorite hen was hatched 4 years ago this Cinco de Mayo.

I hope others will join along and post plenty of pictures of their feathered friends this year!

Link to prior thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1084889/5th-annual-cinco-de-mayo-hatchathon

Last edited:
The set date works out great. Setting weekly on fridays.

I'm getting about 4 eggs a day out of my hens.

Set 10 last Friday to check for fertility.

Hope my toms are taking care of businesd

The set date works out great. Setting weekly on fridays.

I'm getting about 4 eggs a day out of my hens.

Set 10 last Friday to check for fertility.

Hope my toms are taking care of businesd
Great! I am trying to figure out how I can tell which blue eggs are coming from my favorite hen, I might just put her in the broody cage the week before setting to see if I can collect just her eggs. She should stay fertile for a few weeks even being away from the rooster right?

I should have started the thread earlier I think but I haven't been on here in a while! Glad to have you hatching with me Freedman! Good luck with your fertility test!

My two hens I plan to hatch eggs from have been keeping up the pace! Not sure how long I can store eggs for hatching but I will try up to 14 days. I started collecting eggs on the first of the month an I intend to set on April 14th. My 4 year old White Leghorn eggs had a poor hatch rate I am sure due to her advanced age for a chicken but she is such a prolific layer I want to try again. At 4 years old she is still laying 6 days a week!

I'm in. Perfect timing. I've got a broody hen that has been sitting for a week and 9 fertilized eggs scheduled to arrive on Thursday. I will set them with the hen on Friday morning and be right on schedule. This is my first hatching ever so wish me luck!
big_smile.png

Had a hectic week at work. Missed the set for turkeys. And I kinda went overboard and bators were full.

Set 42 turkey eggs yesterday. If I get 10 more will have 50 ready to go in.

Set 30 cot. Quail yesterday. And 10 pheasant eggs.

Locked down 50 eggs for the easter hal today.

Have 8 of the 10 turkey eggs i set for fertility. Should hatch next week.

Have 150 chicken eggs for next week and 25 turkey eggs in 2 weeks.

Kate2008. Welcome to the hal. Good luck on your hatch.

I'll still play along if I can.

I set 10 eggs under my broody this morning. I tried to move her twice this week to a dedicated brooding pen but she will have none of it. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Just set my eggs today before heading out to work! This hatch it will be Olive Eggers produced by crossing U of A blue cockerel over a dark brown egg laying Amber Link hen. The other eggs are U of A cockerel covering a production White Leghorn to increase egg size/productivity of my blue egg layers. Lastly I have 2 eggs from my favorite hen who will be 4 years old at hatch - this will likely be the last time her eggs are viable for hatching crossing my fingers!!

Back
Top Bottom