Transfering to coop

suburbanfarmer1

Hatching
Mar 27, 2017
Hi all,
I'm a new to raising chickens. I have 6 baby chicks (about 4 weeks old) They are currently sleeping in a Tupperware brooder in my bathroom... They spend days outside where it's about 70*. I want to transfer them to the coop. I've been turning off the heat lamp at night so it's probably high 60's in the bathroom currently at night.
I've set up their outside coop and current night temps are mid 40's here. I was going to put a heat lamp in their coop (in the 2nd story nesting box area where it's not drafty). Can anyone reassure me that they will be ok? Or let me know if this is a terrible idea.
Thanks so much! I've heard I should keep them inside until 11 weeks but that seems crazy since they are, like I said, in my bathroom. And they are getting cramped and stinky in the brooder box.

Thanks again, I appreciate any advice!

welcome-byc.gif
Can you open the bathroom window at night, and close the door for a few nights? An other option would be to move them into the coop with a huddle box. No way do they need to stay in your house till they are 11 weeks old. As soon as they are fully feathered (4 - 5 weeks) they can live outside without any heat. I would absolutely NOT put a heat lamp in the coop. Too risky for fire. What is the size of your coop?

Last edited:
Thanks so much. I will try a huddle box. My coop is not very big and there is an upstairs area where I can close them in for extra warmth.

Back
Top Bottom