Need some advice on prices

birdmanmax

Songster
Dec 27, 2016
Central Michigan
Im wanting to purchase some different color mutations and curious if these prices are okay for some peafowl both are 2 years old I would like them a bit cheaper but never raised different color mutations besides black shoulder, whites, and India blues (also pieds).

Opal Spalding dark pied peacock- 300
Opal Spalding dark pied Peahen-250

As long as you are happy with the price then it is a good price. You do understand that they will look like a normal Opal with some Spaulding in it and a little white on the flights and perhaps the throat patch. Dark pieds don't necessarily have to have white on them, but they should throw some chicks with more white on them then the parents.

The prices you quoted are a little higher than what I paid for mature Opal Black Shoulders but knowing the background of the birds makes them worth more. When buying from a source that does not keep good records or maintain a strict breeding program you should pay much less than when buying from someone who is producing birds professionally and state tested and most importantly able to tell you the heritage of your purchase.

Thank you so much KsKingBee I thought the prices might be a bit high. I'm going to try to get the prices a bit lower but I'm really interested in getting some different mutations at breeding age so I might pay a bit more then I truly should. And yes I understand they are going to look pretty much like normal opals.

At the moment though I don't know very many breeders, breeding different mutations in Michigan. This is actually the first time I have seen any opals in my state so I jumped at the opportunity.

Thank you so much KsKingBee I thought the prices might be a bit high. I'm going to try to get the prices a bit lower but I'm really interested in getting some different mutations at breeding age so I might pay a bit more then I truly should. And yes I understand they are going to look pretty much like normal opals.

At the moment though I don't know very many breeders, breeding different mutations in Michigan. This is actually the first time I have seen any opals in my state so I jumped at the oppor

This time of year you are going to be paying premium prices for breeding age birds. If you want to save some money wait until after breeding season or just keep a look out for deals. Breeding age hens right now are bringing $50 to $100 dollars more than off season prices.

If you are serious about acquiring birds of different colors and patterns you are going to have to bite the bullet and pay the shipping and get the quality of birds you want. Most of us justify the expense by figuring the sale of chicks to pay for the postage and higher price of quality birds. And again, knowing the ancestry of the birds is a big deal.

@KsKingBee nailed it. Good answer Brother,
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Gerald Barker

Last edited:

At the moment though I don't know very many breeders, breeding different mutations in Michigan. This is actually the first time I have seen any opals in my state so I jumped at the opportunity.
Opals are like. the WORST to find here. I've had my male for 4 years now, and I have been looking for opals in our area (michigan) for the past 5 years, and I have seen exactly 1 hen- whom I did purchase ($100 at 3 months old), but who also snapped her leg in a freak accident the spring she turned 3 and had to be euthanized (kill me, that was the worst day ever)

At this point, I'm just considering ditching the male and moving on with just my purples. As pretty as the opals are, as much as I love them, finding them has been a nightmare. To me, those prices are worthwhile if you can get your paws on a breeding pair- you'd more than make that back on their first year of hatchlings. Maybe not somewhere else where Opals are easier to find, but definitely in MI you would.

Thanks everyone for the responses, this is the first I've ever even heard of opals here in Michigan. But sadly I waited to long and someone else bought them:( Hopefully I'll find some in the days to come and as for your opal male @Kedreeva if you ever do want to give up on him I would be happy to pay a reasonable price for him.

ha, I'm not surprised at all that someone snatched them up even at that price... like I said, they are so incredibly rare here.

If you want Octavian, I'd be happy to work something out, esp if you're willing to come get him soon. I'm splitting everyone out to breeding pens probably next weekend and it'd be nice not to worry about where to put him by himself.

Back
Top Bottom