I hatched 3 chicks last week, and need help finding out what breed they maybe.

BD17

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2017
First and foremost good evening. I am brand new to having baby chicks, and just hatched 3 eggs (out of 12) last week in my classroom for the first time!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that I have these baby chicks I would love to know what breed they are, but am having trouble figuring it out on my own. Any help that can be given would be appreciated. I will upload two pics of each chick. We did get the eggs from a farm where the women has 50 chickens all different breeds and I believe 3 different roosters.
DJ junior (my 5 year old named this one)

DJ junior

Pip

Pip

Rosie

Rosie

Thank you for responding so quickly! I guess I am just so anxious to see what these chicks will look like when they are grown.

I can guess some breeds like Wyandotte and Australorp, but mixed breeds can often be very individual. At least your chicks will be unique. If you post photo when they are closer to maturity than people could guess what breeds might be involved, but even than they will be guesses. They are adorable either way.

I agree with the other posters that they will most likely be a "barnyard mix." Even when a chick is purebred, it's hard to visualize that their down will turn into the father patterns that it does! I have two barnyard mixes that were hatched exactly as yours were, they both look very similar to a red sex link, but their hackle feathers have black tips. They both lay a light brown egg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom