Reviving stressed older chick after shipping

karenls50

Songster
7 Years
Mar 9, 2017
Hi. We just received chicks from out of state. They range in age from 3-10 weeks. They are are all doing great except one-one of the oldest. She is lethargic and not eating. The rest are eating and drinking and chirping like champs but this one just stands with her head down and eyes closed.
We've given her nutridrench about every half hour with an eye dropper. We've seen her eat one time at the crumbles. When I pick her up and hold her she doesn't fight at all. I know they were all very healthy when they left the Breeder. Is it too much stress? What should I do?

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

May be too much stress.

Really the nutri drench should be good. Hydration is most important. You can offer some chopped boiled egg, just to see. What else are you feeding?

Also, cocci is a possibility. If you don't see any blood in droppings (only 1 strain makes this), you can get a fecal float test done at most vets for around $15... which could also check for worms at the same time. I'm guessing if you got started birds from a breeder, you've already made quite an investment, so it would be worth it to have the test done.

How long since shipping has it been?

fl.gif

Shipping took 1 1/2 days. It's been with us about 5 hours. There was fruit sent with them.
No blood in droppings. We're feeding them Kombach chick starter crumbles. Thanks for your help. Avian vets are not in our area. I checked with our animal vet.

Last edited:
It's distressing to have a sick chicken and not have them respond to your attempts to help. You're probably doing all you can. Let's hope it's just shipping stress and this chick will recover soon.

Is the breeder you bought them from NPIP certified? That means they comply to rules that they provide regular testing for disease so it's not spread out into the poultry community. Sadly, some breeders don't have this certification, and some are downright careless about bio-security. The result is Marek's and leucosis being transmitted to chicks through the eggs from donor hens who carry disease.

Ten weeks is about the age Marek's begins to manifest in infected chicks. I hate to alarm you, but this may be a possibility.

Cocci is a possibility also. It's benign if treated promptly, so get some Corid and treat all the chicks. It can't hurt, and if they have cocci, it can save their lives.

I would call the breeder and ask if they test their flock regularly for these diseases and report the condition of this sick chick.

Thanks. Azygous. Yes they are npip. They are top well known breeders in this breed. Where do I get corid? I have TSC close by.
She's standing looking around now with her eyes open and alert. Should I keep giving nutri-drench? I'll try scrambled egg.

Shipping took 1 1/2 days. It's been with us about 5 hours. There was fruit sent with them.
No blood in droppings. We're feeding them Kombach chick starter crumbles. Thanks for your help. Avian vets are not in our area. I checked with our animal vet.
A regular vet can still run the fecal sample.

Chick starter should be good.

1.5 days isn't too long for a fresh hatched chick...

But for chicks that age, I would think very stressful being creatures of habit.

Keep up what you're doing and let her rest/recover. Not what I would normally recommend, but I bet she (if it is a she) is exhausted. She won't starve in a day or two, so make sure she is hydrated and comfy.

Feel free to post a pic, never know what somebody might be able to spot.

How many chicks did you get total in your box? Cocci is in every single poo but only becomes an issue when there is an overgrowth which could be a possibility is warm humid conditions especially (maybe inside the box). Is your starter medicated or not? The medicated has a low dose of amprolium (the active ingredient in Corid), but under certain conditions may not be enough. Amprolium essentially pretends to block thiamine and starves out the cocci, it is not an antibiotic. And I prefer not to treat what I don't know, but Corid will not harm your flock.

Note... you can not OD a bird on vitamins, but minerals like salt and potassium is a whole other story. Not sure what's in the nutridrench, so just be aware as you don't want to cause more harm! You might switch to regular water or at least have it available.
hu.gif

Hi eggdighted4life. You guys are amazing. So much kind help here. I thought I'd change to sugar water next time so we don't OD on nutridrench.
Starter is not medicated. We have other chicks that we hatched and don't like to use medicated starter.
Should I get the corid? Where?
I know the Breeder we got these from is fastidious so I have a very hard time thinking there's anything wrong but the stress. I contacted her and waiting for a response. I'll write an update shortly. Thanks for all and any suggestions. I've never received shipped pullets before.
Six in box. All others are going crazy with happy activity. But like I mentioned. She appears to be slightly older than the rest. Stressed mother complex?????

They should have the corid at TSC or any other feed store. Not sure about Wally, but maybe.

Try brown sugar for your water, slightly more nutrients than white.

I also don't use medicated feed but do have the Corid on hand. Some seasons I need to use it, others I don't.

She may not have cocci, but still stressed from shipping. It is just one possibility to be aware of, that is common and with a simple fix.

Since you are not that far out from shipping still, probably just stress... which can sometimes flare up underlying conditions or allow for normal stuff to be overwhelming to the immune system.

Are you keeping them in your house? I would bring in a small batch of dirt from your yard for some exposure to build immunity to what's there before going out full time, if so.

Yep, BYC is an awesome community full of caring and helpful people!
highfive.gif

Yes. I have raw sugar. Will add a bit.
Yes right now they're in a brooder in our great room. As soon as they're acclimated we'll move them to a larger brooder in our garage.
The Breeder wrote back and said probably only stress. She said it might help to isolate her. Will separating her make her more or less stressed? We just walked over to the brooder and she was standing by the feed and eating. Praise God for small miracles.
1f44d.png
1f414.png
1f423.png

Yes. I have raw sugar. Will add a bit.
Yes right now they're in a brooder in our great room. As soon as they're acclimated we'll move them to a larger brooder in our garage.
The Breeder wrote back and said probably only stress. She said it might help to isolate her. Will separating her make her more or less stressed? We just walked over to the brooder and she was standing by the feed and eating. Praise God for small miracles.
1f44d.png
1f414.png
1f423.png
I agree, likely shipping stress.

I would not isolate her at this point. But if she gets picked on or trampled a bunch, then maybe. Otherwise, she will be happiest with the rest of the crew.
smile.png

Yes, God is good!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom