New to BYC from Phoenix

DynesLady

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Hi there! Just bought a home on an acre with a barn and jumped right in to raising chickens. (Well, I've been reading up on it for years! That's half the fun.) My flock:

A friend gave us their 4 RIR hens that had only been laying a few days before I brought them home. We've been getting 3-4 eggs a day from them since we got them March 1! (Joy, Pixie, PR, & Becky)

We have "feral" neighborhood bantams and a neighbor rescued 4 wandering chicks from a dog and gave one to us last Saturday. We immediately went to the feed store for supplies and "siblings." So now our group of 8 chicks: 2 Ameraucanas, 1 white Ameraucana, 2 barred rocks, 1 light brahma, 1 silver laced wyandotte, and the wild bantam (likely a Birchen bantam, based on the daddy's appearance). It tickles me that the bantam and the brahma are usually snuggling, since they are opposing sides of the size spectrum!

I tell people I feel like the Jane Goodall of chickens--I could observe them all day! And this board was extremely helpful to me over the weekend when one of my RIR hens had vent prolapse.
1f62c.png
With your help, a latex glove, some lube, and a big dose of "fake it till you make it" courage--all is well now. I decided that act allows me to officially have the title "chicken farmer."
1f606.png
Do they make badges for this? Can I wear a BYC sash like a Girl Scout?
1f602.png
Anyway, THANKS, chicken community!
1f618.png

Greetings from Kansas, DynesLady, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined our community! Sounds like you've been bitten by the chicken bug! The only cure is to keep adding chickens!!
gig.gif
Happy BYC has been useful in helping you with the care and maintenance of your birds! And congrats on the successful vent prolapse treatment! That's impressive!
thumbsup.gif

Also, if you'd like to chat with some local poultry peeps, find your state thread in the link below and say howdy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

welcome-byc.gif

Here's your sash! Sorry, I couldn't find a badge for prolapse repair but hang around long enough and you could earn a badge BYC awards!

Cochins and Brahmas are both docile breeds - maybe they cuddle because it's true LOVE.
love.gif
Thank you for joining us at Backyard Chickens. Warning NFC is the creative funster among us. Tickles the funny bone but, is not harmful.

G’Day from down under DynesLady
frow.gif
Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Welcome to the ultimate Clan, Club, and Community of Poultry Lovers, DynesLady! :welcome
Congratulations on successfully treating the case of prolapse- that's a great job for your first chicken medical endeavor! :clap
What a gorgeous flock it sounds you have!!!! :love
All of birds are all part of one massive, unanimously-beloved flock on BYC- and we can't wait to assist in any way possible!
We're glad you're here!!!
:jumpy Wings of Wishes,:jumpy
~Sarah

Back
Top Bottom