Surveys on chicken keeping practices to help inform local code?

greggles

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2016
I'm interested in gathering some data about how people keep chickens in my city of Englewood, Colorado (which has an existing thread about laws). The goal is to learn what factors in keeping chickens are important to residents so that the local code can reflect those values.

It occurred to me that the answers to the questions might be interesting outside of my city. I'd also love to get help in writing good survey questions and then promoting the survey.

I found a survey published by the oxford university press in 2014 that covers the United States with great detail (maybe a little too much detail!).

Are there any other sources of surveys that people know?

Is anyone else interested in helping to write and promote a survey? If so, please comment and/or send a private message.

I think my process will be:
  1. To write questions over the next few weeks.
  2. To give the survey to a small group of people (~10).
  3. To adjust the questions based on those initial answers (this and step 2 should take ~2 weeks).
  4. To promote the survey as broadly as possible - this step may take a month or so.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help!

Just a thought...you might try posting on your state thread to reach more CO people: Colorado

Good luck with your project!

Thanks for the feedback N F C. My hope is to get feedback on the survey questions from chicken-keepers nationwide and apply the results to Englewood.

Here are the questions I've come up with so far:
Do you keep birds on your property?
  • No, but my neighbor does keep birds
  • No, but someday I want to keep birds
  • Yes, for eggs
  • Yes, for meat
  • Yes, as pets
  • Yes, to sell (selling either eggs or birds)

If you've kept birds, what was the highest number you had on your property at one time?
- Number input box.

How many birds do you think people should be allowed to keep on a typical lot in our city?
- Number input box.

What is the highest number of birds you would want to keep on your property?
- Number input box.

How important is it to you to keep roosters or other loud animals?
  • I don't want a rooster
  • I don't care either way
  • I want a rooster, but if they are against code I would not get one
  • I want roosters and will move if I have to so that I can keep roosters
My neighbor keeps chickens or other similar birds and... (check all that
apply)

• I love it
  • I don't care either way
  • I don't like the smell
  • I don't like the noise of their hens
  • I don't like the noise of their rooster
  • I am concerned about the risk of disease spreading
  • I am concerned about predators (like racoons) or other animals (like mice/rats) being attracted by someone keeping birds like chickens
  • I am concerned about the smell
  • I am concerned about my property value going down if my neighbor keeps birds like chickens

Back
Top Bottom