Male Peafowl

FarmGirl124

Hatching
Apr 4, 2017
I am getting two male peafowl this year and i was wondering if i could let them loose with my dog around, my dog is known for killing our chickens and bunnies that escape, i am aware that peafowl can fly short distances but i am also afraid the peafowls will fly off, what should i do?

I'd be less worried about them getting hurt, more about them flying away. You definitely need to keep them penned up with a net or soft covering material for several months, I've heard 3 to 6 months while they reset to your home being their home.

I tossed a flake of straw on the ground and my peacocks tried to reach the sky. They can fly miles at a time.

Males can be enclosed together as long as their are no females around. Otherwise they will fight during mating season.

Hope that helps.

I am getting two male peafowl this year and i was wondering if i could let them loose with my dog around, my dog is known for killing our chickens and bunnies that escape, i am aware that peafowl can fly short distances but i am also afraid the peafowls will fly off, what should i do?
Welcome to BYC!

If your dog kills chickens and rabbits, it will probably try to kill peafowl. Do not get peafowl unless you can provide a safe, dog proof enclosure for them.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
Thank you so much! we went to a store today to look at fences tall enough for them and large enough to make a dome. I was a little nervous about taking them out to pasture for insects and seeds, thinking they would fly off or my dog will get them...thank you again!

I would also work with training your dog in regards to birds. Peas tend to be jumpier than other types of poultry that are commonly kept and the dog might harass them to death through the fence. We had several hunting dogs growing up and they learned very quickly that it was definitely not okay to harass any of the birds.

Back
Top Bottom