British Columbia!!

BuckDucks

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2017
Pender Island, BC
Hey Potheads! We're based on Pender Island. We've got six ducks (so far) and hoping to annihilate our acre and a half of slugs and bugs.
Working out a good duck shelter/run right now, because currently they are living in our dining room.
It's been a very cold spring. Last year today it was +20, today we were lucky if it got to 10 :(

We're in chilliwack BC and have 28 2wk old chicks. Haven't raised ducks before but my daughter is wanting to try them next time :)
Yes I hear ya, wanting to get our chicks out in the coop ( they are in my dining room too) but it's still a bit too cold at night I think. Beautiful today but that was rare!
Love the gulf islands :)

Holy **** you have 28! The guy sent me an extra one and we are maxed out of space for them! Hope you have a big area for them.
I have a large dog kennel, too and bottom zap strapped together and essentially the they have 2 rooms. Kitchen and bedroom. They were drinking from a bread pan, but today I've made 3 large Mason jars tied on the edges for water stations with the food in the middle. They were just really bathing in the bread pan I had to refill it constantly!
I'm hoping 2 more weeks and they're outside. We're just finishing their coop.

Today my question is about how to make a egg laying zone in their coop.
We're doing 6x4 or maybe 8x4.
Do I just put a box inside with one side open and that's all? Is one box enough? I hear they like to just lay anywhere and everywhere!
Any tips, but I'm going to search the forums now!

Last edited:
Yes we ordered 26 and they sent us 2 extra and all survived. My dad is taking 5 once they are bigger so eventually we'll have 23 -lots of people want our eggs - already feeling like we should've built a bigger coop and ordered more.
We got our 3 1/2 week old chicks outside today in their coop (the brooder was just too small with them all trying to fly) so I'm really nervous for their first night outside! We did put the heat light out as its still too cold.

For the nesting boxes we will be using some milk crates lying on the side filled with hay. I've heard if you put golf balls or fake eggs in there they will figure it out. That's for chickens though not sure if it's the same for ducks. We're not putting them in yet because I don't want them to just sleep and poop in there. I'll put them in close to laying age.

Any advice for this stage of mommy-dom would be greatly appreciated :)

Yes we ordered 26 and they sent us 2 extra and all survived. My dad is taking 5 once they are bigger so eventually we'll have 23 -lots of people want our eggs - already feeling like we should've built a bigger coop and ordered more.
We got our 3 1/2 week old chicks outside today in their coop (the brooder was just too small with them all trying to fly) so I'm really nervous for their first night outside! We did put the heat light out as its still too cold.

For the nesting boxes we will be using some milk crates lying on the side filled with hay. I've heard if you put golf balls or fake eggs in there they will figure it out. That's for chickens though not sure if it's the same for ducks. We're not putting them in yet because I don't want them to just sleep and poop in there. I'll put them in close to laying age.

Any advice for this stage of mommy-dom would be greatly appreciated :)

We finally finished our run, which we can put them in in the day. They are really starting to smell our little cabin up and I swear I was asphyxiating the other night!! I can't lay enough shavings down!
How did yours do over night? I'm thinking about still putting the heat lamp out, and we have much better weather than you (though more damp I think)
I'll still bring them in the night for sleeping.
Mine are about 5 weeks and bellies are feathered and their heads, but the wings are still coming. Can't wait until they can be outside 100%, for their sake as well.
I will post pics of our run soon!

Regarding eggs, it will be interesting to see if they use the boxes. Best advice I e read, is just to make sure to leave them inside until 10am and they'll be done laying.

Back
Top Bottom