cat ar a dog for snakes?

trudyg

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 3, 2013
North Alabama
I killed a black snake w/ and egg in its mouth last year, this year I have a rooster. Do you think he'll keep the snakes away? I've been getting fewer eggs than expected the last 2 weeks and now DH is seeing snakes in the garage. the plan is to inspect the area and make it unattactive, but I think we need either a cat or a dog. All my chickens are full grown heavies, so a cat wouldn't bother them (I don't think). But, what's better--cat or dog? We aren't really pet people and I don't want animals in the house (trip hazard, mainly). Any suggestions? Btw, all feed is kept tightly closed except what they are eating for today. Once a snake finds a good supply of eggs, they'll keep coming for dinner so I'll have to put a stop to it. Or maybe guineas?

You can buy a ceramic eggs and put them in your coop. Our general store sells them. The snake will die If he eats one because it can't digest.
Make sure the ceramic eggs are heavy.

I killed a black snake w/ and egg in its mouth last year, this year I have a rooster. Do you think he'll keep the snakes away? I've been getting fewer eggs than expected the last 2 weeks and now DH is seeing snakes in the garage. the plan is to inspect the area and make it unattactive, but I think we need either a cat or a dog. All my chickens are full grown heavies, so a cat wouldn't bother them (I don't think). But, what's better--cat or dog? We aren't really pet people and I don't want animals in the house (trip hazard, mainly). Any suggestions? Btw, all feed is kept tightly closed except what they are eating for today. Once a snake finds a good supply of eggs, they'll keep coming for dinner so I'll have to put a stop to it. Or maybe guineas?
Would be a pretty special dog or cat to keep snakes big enough to eat eggs away.
Best bet is to close access to coop and clear area around coop of cover.
Have seen folks use minnows traps baited with egg to trap snakes.
Where are you located?

I had an old mutt (mountain cur, German Shepard mix) that hated snakes and would kill them on site (copperheads, rattlers, black snakes..didn't matter!)! Cant tell you how many times that dog was bit, but the snake always died. Best that I can say is you wold have better luck with a dog and one that has some hunt or a fair nose on him. I don't have much use for a cat as I have had to shoot to many of the Ferrell's running loose and killing my birds.

As far as finding black snakes ....Once, I reached in and out come a quail that was in the nest box and as I went to grab the eggs I felt the 4 foot long critter. I caught him, cut him open and he had 5 eggs in his belly... then I finished killing the snake. Later I put the 4 of the 5 eggs in the incubator and every one hatched.

No personal experience, but I've always heard that geese will chase snakes away.

I've heard guinea fowl are good protection against snakes

We have guineas, geese and a lot of snakes here.
Never seen either kill or scare away any snakes.
Have seen the chickens eating a couple very small snakes in the past.

OP a dog might help. Depends on the dog. Dont think a cat would help at all.
If youre not a pet person i wouldnt get either. A lot of responsibility and little to no reward as far as snake deterent imo.

My dogs kill even the largest Bull Snakes and Copperheads we have here. They put a lot of effort into it. While under ground the snakes are relatively safe. My snakes are here first for the rodents. Reducing rodent numbers would help snakes move on. Despite prejudice dogs have for snakes, I still loose some eggs and even chicks to the snakes. Losses light. This year I will invest more in elevating chicken nests to locations snakes can not easily climb to. Hens with vulnerable chicks be encouraged to roost in bottoms of 55-gallon barrels the dogs can inspect closely at night.

I am trying to do all of this without purposely killing all the snakes. My kids want it that way, especially daughter that likes the critters.

Back
Top Bottom