Gosling Picking/over cleaning

ChikNCoop

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2017
Middle Tennessee
We purchased five goslings 2 weeks ago from our local co-op. Four Saddlebacks and 1 mystery guest (they thought it was a Toulouse). One of our saddlebacks has down missing off his wing. He seems to pick / nibble / clean it. We thought maybe he/she had rubbed it on the sidewalls of their smaller enclosure but now I've seen it almost kind of pick at it. Is this stress? They moved to a larger enclosure today. They are in our house with a brooder lamp. The heat is comfy as they are spread around the enclosure and comfortable. They have plenty of water and are eating a non-medicated food appropriate for them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

since you moved them to a new brooder I would check to see if this self plucking continues... have you been giving them access to water to swim in or at least dunk their heads?

Yes, they are the messiest yet cutest things ever. They had a large bowl of water that they were also taking splash baths in. They now have deep bowl of water to drink and dunk their heads in and a large dish that they can stand in and preen. Water is not too deep (want to prevent drowning accidents). Their goose coop will arrive next week.

Are there any toys I could introduce to keep his/her attention away from the wing?

It sounds like a case of boredom - giving them toys is a great idea. Goslings love to pick at stuff, and if there's nothing else, they'll pick at themselves and each other.

IMO, a block of grass turf is the best (and cheapest) toy for goslings. They'll eat the grass, tear at the roots, get grits from the soil, and have a hoot. Just dig up a square of grass, give it to the goslings, replace the square when they've torn it apart, and repeat. It's what they're meant to do.

Yes, they are the messiest yet cutest things ever. They had a large bowl of water that they were also taking splash baths in. They now have deep bowl of water to drink and dunk their heads in and a large dish that they can stand in and preen. Water is not too deep (want to prevent drowning accidents). Their goose coop will arrive next week.

Are there any toys I could introduce to keep his/her attention away from the wing?

I gave my goslings a dog rope... with the fringed strings to chew on. They love the ropes!!
Mine the first few days were nibbling on each other too. But stopped once i gave thsm the ropes.
Now they are getting to do so much grazing in the yard and that helped alot too. Keeps them busy.

Thank you all very much for the advice!! I will give them a square of grassy sod like I did my chickens. I try to be very careful as I know some plants are poisonous to the little ones.

We've also moved them to their own coop now. No longer picking on one another!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom