Do chickens need access to dirt or can they live their entire lives in the coop?

mollylee

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2017
We are new to the chicken game and live in a neighborhood within a major metropolitan area, so yard space is limited. We have 4 chicks currently living in our basement. The coop we purchased from Tractor Supply is from Pet Innovation "coops and feathers" line. Our yard does not allow for a run of any sort so the chickens will mainly live their lives inside this coop. I just discovered when I took the coop out of the box for assembly that is has a sandpaper like floor piece for the "downstairs" portion (upstairs is the "house" with roosting and nesting boxes) I was under the impression that the floor of the coop would sit directly on the dirt so that the chickens could peck around and take dirt baths, etc. Now I'm worried that since it has a floor and we don't plan on having a run that the chickens will be miserable with no access to the earth. Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks.

Chickens love scratching at the dirt and eating little bugs and worms it is best to give your chickens some yard space but if you don't have it Unfortunately I would not know what to do without a run.

Welcome to BYC!

Keeping chickens in a small confined will just not work.Keeping them confined can result to cannibalism with other problems following.You could put them in the space but they wont be happy at all.

Welcome to BYC....you can probably make it work, people do. Are you sure that's a floor and not the roof? If so, can it be removed? I looked up Pet Innovation coops and feathers line, and I don't see they have floors.....Why not post a pic so the experts can give you advice on how to optimize your situation. Good luck!
Sue

I think it would compare to keeping a dog or cat in a coop. Would they be happy?
Chickens LOVE to forage and scratch in the dirt, and take dust baths.

I just discovered that is has a sandpaper like floor piece for the "downstairs" portion (upstairs is the "house" with roosting and nesting boxes) Now I'm worried that the chickens will be miserable with no access to the earth. First and foremost welcome to BYC "NEW EGG". In a perfect world a dirt run would have been best. That being said I am sure with scratch grains and possibly a dust bathing box in your "downstairs" area (I use a cut portion of a 45 gallon drum bottom filled with sand peat moss and wood ashes) your birds will have a joyful existence.
Is this your coop?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom