how long can eggs be cold?

wildlifebygabri

Hatching
Apr 20, 2017
ohio
robin abandoned her this morning and hasnt come back. they were cold so i brought them into my incubator. do they still have a chance even after they were cold for a number of hours? still have veins and no distinguishable blood rings.

How do you know she abandoned the nest? She may not even be done laying a clutch yet.

Quote:

p>

How do you know she abandoned them? Messing with wild animals/birds babies and eggs is not good for anyone. Those babies have less than a 1% chance of surviving if you raise them. Just let mother nature do her thing.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
my father is a licensed wildlife rehabber, so im getting his help. she hadnt been there for the entire day so I made the deciscion to bring them in.

weve seen all of her eggs (4) and shes been sitting on them for 12 days today, so we were sure she was done laying. she hadnt been there all day and the eggs were cold so i went ahead and brought them in fearing they would die. we watched and she didnt return the entire rest of the day. so we believe she abandoned them

the nest in in the window of the house so we could clearly see eggs. weve raised them before and plan to feed them what we fed them last time. and the survival rate is actually higher than 1% if you know what youre doing

Last edited:
A quick google search tells me that the normal incubation period for a robins' egg is 12 to 14 days. If this robin abandoned her eggs at 12 days and all you can see in them are veins, they may have already died and maybe that is why she abandoned them?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom