Hen wing protection?

Deltabwa

Songster
5 Years
Oct 30, 2016
Southeast Montana
I have 2 new roosters. Got rid of my old one because I like the genetics of the ones that I got with my last batch better. My problem is that one of these 2 guys are tearing up a couple of the hens feathers. My old roo never harmed a single feather but someone new has been ripping them up. I guess is there a way to tell which one is doing it? I have an Adny and he has longer spurs but the Slw i have seems to bumbke around.

Regardless of who, I need to protect the hens. She is the worst but i have 3 others that are starting to look this way. I know an apron only covers the body and the 1 brand has a piece that goes across the wings but from the looks of the pics, it only covers the top of the wings. I need the middle of the wing protected. Can you see it in this pic? Shes hiding in a tree. She is the oldest and usually goes to the barn and spends the day there while both younger guys stay with the girls they grew up with so she is only with them a few hrs while they all lay, and then night.

Last edited:
I have 2 new roosters. Got rid of my old one because I like the genetics of the ones that I got with my last batch better. My problem is that one of these 2 guys are tearing up a couple of the hens feathers. My old roo never harmed a single feather but someone new has been ripping them up. I guess is there a way to tell which one is doing it? I have an Adny and he has longer spurs but the Slw i have seems to bumbke around.

Rehardless if who, I need to protect the hens. She is the worst but i have 3 others that are starting to look this way. I know an apron only covers the body and the 1 brand has a piece that goes across tge wings but from the looks of the pics, it only covers the top of the wings. I need the middle of the wing protected. Can you see it in this pic? Shes hiding in a tree. She is the oldest and usually goes to the barn and spends the day there while both younger guys stay with the girls they grew up with so she is only with them a few hrs while they all lay, and then night.
You need to catch this one that is hiding and check under her wings------she is probably cut up and hurting. You need to cut some spurs if you want to keep them. Check the hen--please.

You need to catch this one that is hiding and check under her wings------she is probably cut up and hurting. You need to cut some spurs if you want to keep them. Check the hen--please.

Oh, she was just hiding when i tried to take her pic. She only stayed there until i walked away and then went to the barn to scavenge there. I have checked under her wings, shes not cut up at all. Just the top of her head. I bought dog clippers to do that. They are only about a 1/2" long total. So i have to cut just a small amount every couple of days?

Last edited:
Try aprons.Spurs readily do the majority of damge,its claws.Try clipping them,and the spurs,or get rid of roosters.They likely are mot as sore as think.Hiding is likely because their scared of getting roughed raped.

Think of it this way:

If someone was scratching you on the arm (bare skin), in the same spot 50 times a day. It's going to hurt, they will eventually break your skin in the same spot and you will bleed.
Now imagine you put on a shirt...and they scratch you in the same spot 50 times a day...it's not really going to feel much better with having a shirt on..right?

How many hens do you have with the two roos?

Roosters are not damaging hens with spurs as the spurs are not penetrating the hens feathers when he mounts. Damage to hens wings are more likely due to his feet. Roosters mate with hens more often when other roosters present to forward their efforts through sperm competition where more is better.

Think of it this way:

If someone was scratching you on the arm (bare skin), in the same spot 50 times a day. It's going to hurt, they will eventually break your skin in the same spot and you will bleed.
Now imagine you put on a shirt...and they scratch you in the same spot 50 times a day...it's not really going to feel much better with having a shirt on..right?

How many hens do you have with the two roos?

17 hens. I see your point, just wondering what to do about it. And how to figure out which one it is.

Roosters are not damaging hens with spurs as the spurs are not penetrating the hens feathers when he mounts. Damage to hens wings are more likely due to his feet. Roosters mate with hens more often when other roosters present to forward their efforts through sperm competition where more is better.

So what do i do about that? I have seen the roosters with every other hen but never her. Tho its clearly obvious its happening. But like i said, her and the other hen, my 2 originals and oldest, go to the barn and corral to free range and only come back when its time for bed.

Do you have any suggestions, other than getting rid of the roos? Is there something i can do to the roos? It is a straight line from 1 wing to the other, across the back, i can see it starting with a couple other hens, there is a line starting across their back

Last edited:
I have this same issue.... 9 hens and 3 roosters. My poor hands! Three of the hands aren't getting mounted because their silkies and just way too small. Do I need to get rid of two of these roosters?

Back
Top Bottom