Advice

BeccaNS

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2017
Ok I may have temporary lost my mind. I went to pick up some guinies for my mom, there was this little goose all by itself. It was screaming and so happy when my four year old went over to it. So it came home with us.... tell me what I need to know. I'm going to do some research too. I had kind of hoped it would be happy with my chicks but no way. They were cool with it but it wants nothing to do with them. We have been holding and carrying it around nonstop. My mom has some baby ducks so kind of hoping it will be happy with them.

Well, you need to find another gosling, because it needs a friend of its own species, so I'd start looking (you could always order two from Metzer). Even if you also have ducks, you need another goose so that it can be happy.

Otherwise, their care is pretty much the same as ducklings. They require higher niacin like ducklings do so an All Flock feed is a good choice for them. They also benefit from getting outside and grazing, since grass is what they're meant to eat :)

Agree with pyxis--- definatly need one more goose so its happy!
1f642.png
1f44d-1f3fb.png
And we need a pic:)
I have my first two geese right now too! They will be 3 weeks monday. I got them at 3 days old. They are the best things ever !!!

I'm super bummed. I had asked at the feed store if it needed other geese and they told he didn't, That he would be fine with the baby ducks. I called around and no more geese close by us. He is already a couple weeks old. I'm not sure what we will do about it. He is being a huge problem and pretty much screams if not with us. So he has moved in the house instead of the garage as planned. We want what is best for it so guess we will see how things go. He is eating and super happy as long as we are hanging out around him.

Last edited:
Yeah the really attach and bond to each other and humans.
I would check if there are any feed stores around that will be getting anymore babies in.
Or i would order some. From metzer farms you can order a minimum of 2 .
The sooner the better because they grow so fast by the time you get a new one you will have to be careful with introductions.
But its for the best in the long run.
Sometimes people are selling them on craigslist.
We have north 40 outfitters here and they get in new baby geese every week

I'm super bummed. I had asked at the feed store if it needed other geese and they told he didn't, That he would be fine with the baby ducks. I called around and no more geese close by us. He is already a couple weeks old. I'm not sure what we will do about it. He is being a huge problem and pretty much screams if not with us. So he has moved in the house instead of the garage as planned. We want what is best for it so guess we will see how things go. He is eating and super happy as long as we are hanging out around him.

You can order from Metzer, they only require you to order two and I bet they have some available for their next ship date.

Here's their availability table, looks like they have plenty available for their May 1st hatch.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/HatchingDates.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=15312085

If you're unable to find another goose it will bond with ducklings. Problems arise when you try to introduce goslings if there are drakes around but young ones are pretty adaptable. I have two ducks that were raised together with a clutch of geese. To this day they think they're geese and won't have anything to do with the other ducks.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. He was an impulse buy because they said I could put him with the ducks. We are going to introduce him to the ducks tomorrow. He will be almost a month old by the time we could get more. He already doesn't seem to need/want his light. I don't know that we want to be starting over with the light. I have looked in Craig's list and I found a couple but they were asking $40 a piece

Last edited:
As long as he's not around any drakes he should be okay. Just make sure to watch closely so you can intervene if anything goes wrong. My ducklings saw the goslings as parental figures because of their size, even though they were older than the goslings. Let us know how things go and best of luck to you both tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom