Bought GQF Incubator- Isn't Working! Help

Lady42

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2017
I bought a GQF incubator off someone last month, they assured me that it worked and held temp. I know I shouldn't be SURPRISED that they lied but I am. I've always had great experiences buying off local people both in the chicken community and not.

It's a GQF Sportsman model, probably 20 years old or so.

When we first started it up I was a bit surprised because it was maxing out at 86 and I had been assured that they had just done a test batch so I figured that the temp would have been set properly.

Anyways we have been unable to get it to temp, it's gone as high as 98, yesterday we almost had it sticking at 97 but today it is not even heating up and the temps are dropping fast.

I am definitely not mechanically inclined. I need to get it working ASAP or I need to sell it and buy another incubator but that means I will take a big loss on the price.

Does anyone have experience with these old GQF incubators?

Last edited:
Unplugged it then plugged it back in, motor is going, turning mechanics still work but the heat is not working at all. The temps are just falling, falling, falling.

I know the previous owner had just recently replaced the wafer. What the heck could the problem be?

Go to http://www.gqfmfg.com/cabinet-instructions
and look up your model number. It could be the backup thermostat is set too low.
The way wafer thermostats work is they expand when heated and press against a micro switch that will cut off power to the heater.
Check the instructions for a full description of the process. Basically, you open up the primary thermostat all the way and then adjust the backup thermostat. Then you adjust the primary.

Could be bad thermostats, could also be a bad heating element. The parts are not expensive and are pretty easy to replace. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

That is great info, thanks! I spent most of yesterday looking into this. I'm going to order a wafer first and see. Hopefully that's all it is. I have eggs waiting to be incubated :(

Have you checked the tightness of the wafers? I don't know have your incubator works but I know that if the wafers are not snug they will not work right. I'd check your settings too.

Everything appears to be tight and well screwed in.

We just swapped the entire wafer assembly. It managed to get up to 95 degrees and now the temp is falling again.

We replaced the heating element.

It's still not getting up to temp nor holding temps.

Any thoughts?

I'm having trouble finding instructions on what to do from here.

If it's not the waferand it's not the element... where do we go from here?

Last edited:
Go to http://www.gqfmfg.com/cabinet-instructions
and look up your model number. It could be the backup thermostat is set too low.
The way wafer thermostats work is they expand when heated and press against a micro switch that will cut off power to the heater.
Check the instructions for a full description of the process. Basically, you open up the primary thermostat all the way and then adjust the backup thermostat. Then you adjust the primary.

Could be bad thermostats, could also be a bad heating element. The parts are not expensive and are pretty easy to replace. Let me know if I can be of any more help.
My 1202 won't heat up. I've used it for years with no problem. I've
made sure that the wafer is open all the way, but nothing. The heat
light does not come on nor does the heat. The heating element is shiny silver with
no corrosion or breaks. Not sure what to replace, does the light have to be good
for the heat element to work? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom