My new girls

Kelliekevin

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 7, 2012
Hi there fellow chicken lovers!

I recently introduced 3 ready to lay to my years old's and they are starting to get along but my old 3 are still being quite mean to the new 3.
They don't let them eat or drink when they are all in the coup so I have spread food around so that the new 3 can eat and I've put an extra water dish in as well. Is this ever going to stop? Will they all eventually get along and it just takes some time?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi there fellow chicken lovers!

I recently introduced 3 ready to lay to my years old's and they are starting to get along but my old 3 are still being quite mean to the new 3.
They don't let them eat or drink when they are all in the coup so I have spread food around so that the new 3 can eat and I've put an extra water dish in as well. Is this ever going to stop? Will they all eventually get along and it just takes some time?

Thanks in advance for your help.
What you are seeing is normal chicken behavior. The established flock is protecting its territory, food and water from the invaders. They don't know that they're supposed to be friends. Eventually, they will work it out.

Thank you so much, that's a relief! We have had chickens for years but never introduced new chickens to our existing flock before. We just found we weren't getting enough eggs... so got more chickens! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom