Trouble shooting failed hatch with all live at lockdown: turkeys and FCBM

mommakatx2

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2017
I have the Hovabator 1602N I think it is, with auto turner. I started with 12 FCBM eggs and 8 heritage turkeys. All local. I had 6 FCBM make it to lockdown and 3 turkeys. I had a few late quitters and some clears with both.

My temp ran a steady 100F and humidity 25-35%. At lockdown humidity was 65-70%, same temp.

I had two FCBM hatch. That was it. The rest of them died. Most of them looked to have pipped on the side of the egg, below the air cells, which were large like they were supposed to be. Fully formed chicks and poults.

Any ideas why they malpositioned?

I have the Hovabator 1602N I think it is, with auto turner. I started with 12 FCBM eggs and 8 heritage turkeys. All local. I had 6 FCBM make it to lockdown and 3 turkeys. I had a few late quitters and some clears with both.

My temp ran a steady 100F and humidity 25-35%. At lockdown humidity was 65-70%, same temp.

I had two FCBM hatch. That was it. The rest of them died. Most of them looked to have pipped on the side of the egg, below the air cells, which were large like they were supposed to be. Fully formed chicks and poults.

Any ideas why they malpositioned?

Did you set the turkey eggs a week before the chicken eggs? What day did the chicks hatch? Meaning on time or early or late? Just out of curiosity---how long did you leave the hatched chicks in the incubator or when did you remove the 2 hatched chicks?

Did you set the turkey eggs a week before the chicken eggs?  What day did the chicks hatch? Meaning on time or early or late? Just out of curiosity---how long did you leave the hatched chicks in the incubator or when did you remove the 2 hatched chicks?  

Yes, I set them 7 days later than the turkeys to have a same-day hatch. One chick hatched on day 20 and the 2nd on day 21. Both were removed on day 22 which is when I candled and float tested the remaining eggs and found them all dead. None had pipped the outside but had pipped the inner membrane. I'm going to try turkeys one more time before I just buy some poults...not sure what I should do differently.

Yes, I set them 7 days later than the turkeys to have a same-day hatch. One chick hatched on day 20 and the 2nd on day 21. Both were removed on day 22 which is when I candled and float tested the remaining eggs and found them all dead. None had pipped the outside but had pipped the inner membrane. I'm going to try turkeys one more time before I just buy some poults...not sure what I should do differently.

You seem to have done your homework right. Being your chicks seem to have hatched on time---I feel your temp must be pretty close, How old were the FCBM eggs when set? Did you tilt/turn them every day until set(if they were several days old)? Tell me about your vent plugs---how you did them?

You seem to have done your homework right. Being your chicks seem to have hatched on time---I feel your temp must be pretty close, How old were the FCBM eggs when set? Did you tilt/turn them every day until set(if they were several days old)? Tell me about your vent plugs---how you did them?

I left the vent plug in :/ Is a circulated fan bator with a hole above the fan so i figured I was drawing enough air. Think not enough oxygen maybe? I did not turn the FCBM eggs and they sat for the whole 7 days!! I completely forgot about that! They were anywhere from 10-14 days old when set. The turkey eggs were 1-3 days old when set.

I left the vent plug in
hmm.png
Is a circulated fan bator with a hole above the fan so i figured I was drawing enough air. Think not enough oxygen maybe? I did not turn the FCBM eggs and they sat for the whole 7 days!! I completely forgot about that! They were anywhere from 10-14 days old when set. The turkey eggs were 1-3 days old when set.

You probably suffocated your eggs. The vent plugs need to be out. They have to have fresh air especially from lockdown through hatch.

You probably suffocated your eggs.  The vent plugs need to be out.  They have to have fresh air especially from lockdown through hatch.

I have successfully hatched in this incubator before without removing the plug. The instructions say to leave the plug in place unless water droplets form on the windows so now I'm confused.

I have successfully hatched in this incubator before without removing the plug. The instructions say to leave the plug in place unless water droplets form on the windows so now I'm confused.

Sorry I don't use that type of incubator but the results that you describe are the classic symptoms of the eggs not getting sufficient oxygen. The hole above the fan is the air entrance. Without a vent open how do you expect sufficient air exchange through the incubator? Having the plug out will make it more difficult to get higher humidity during lockdown.

Incubating chicken eggs for their 21 days is not the same as incubating turkey eggs for 28 days without sufficient new air being brought into the incubator.

My recommendation is to take the plug out before you try it again.

I left the vent plug in
hmm.png
Is a circulated fan bator with a hole above the fan so i figured I was drawing enough air. Think not enough oxygen maybe? I did not turn the FCBM eggs and they sat for the whole 7 days!! I completely forgot about that! They were anywhere from 10-14 days old when set. The turkey eggs were 1-3 days old when set.

OK, lets don't argue. I own a 1602n and I like it, and I know what the instructions say and it contradicts itself in more than one place----So even though I like the incubator---I do not like part of the instructions. These incubators do have smaller vent holes too, but having used mine a lot---I do remove one plug during the incubation and both during the hatch. Even the instructions says fully formed chicks that die/not hatch can be caused by lack of oxygen??

OK, 10-14 day old eggs with out turning might could cause them to stick and might could cause a malposition?? So, think about it----you said you have had hatches with this incubator----were your eggs close 2 weeks old non-turned for those hatches too?

Now, being your turkey eggs were not old----Makes me wonder about the oxygen too-----because you seemed to have everything right???? Did any of your turkey eggs Pip??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom