Poorly chook

missymay88

Hatching
Apr 23, 2017
I have a lovely 2 1/2 year old chook Jenny. She recently (about 3 weeks ago) came down with sour crop. After visting the vets she had a course of antibiotics and the sour crop has gone however 4 days later she was back to moping around, not eating or drinking much and generally was very depressed. She has lost a huge amount of weight and now seems to be developing weakness in one of her legs. She has been back to the vets is on a course of anti biotics, and anti inflammorties as her leg keeps coming out of socket. Her vent is really dirty due to runny poop. I have given her an Epsom salt bath and she is also having cat food slurry (recommended by vet).
Has anyone any ideas of what could be wrong or how I could help her. I only have two hens abd don't want to have put to sleep unless I have to.

I have a lovely 2 1/2 year old chook Jenny. She recently (about 3 weeks ago) came down with sour crop. After visting the vets she had a course of antibiotics and the sour crop has gone however 4 days later she was back to moping around, not eating or drinking much and generally was very depressed. She has lost a huge amount of weight and now seems to be developing weakness in one of her legs. She has been back to the vets is on a course of anti biotics, and anti inflammorties as her leg keeps coming out of socket. Her vent is really dirty due to runny poop. I have given her an Epsom salt bath and she is also having cat food slurry (recommended by vet).
Has anyone any ideas of what could be wrong or how I could help her. I only have two hens abd don't want to have put to sleep unless I have to.

Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

I'm so sorry to hear you're having trouble.
Does your vet have any clue as to why her legs are coming out of the socket?
What do you normally feed - do you offer oyster shell free choice?

Crop issues can be a symptom of an underlying problem like Cocci, worms and reproductive/internal laying disorders. Having your vet test a fresh poop sample for worms and cocci overload would be a good idea.

To be honest, I don't know what would cause the legs to behave that way. Hopefully your vet can provide you with more information.

Thanks for your response. The vet didn't really know why she had loose leg sockets though I suspect it's because she is so malnourished due to the underlying unknown condition. The vet couldn't feel any problems with internal organs but without blood tests they couldn't be certain what wrong and blood tests/lab work are not an easy find with a city vet.

She has vermanex and acv as a wormer so I am just trying to build her up as much as possible. Last night however she did the first normal looking poop I have seen in a while and her appetite is beginning to return so I am hoping.

Thanks for your response. The vet didn't really know why she had loose leg sockets though I suspect it's because she is so malnourished due to the underlying unknown condition. The vet couldn't feel any problems with internal organs but without blood tests they couldn't be certain what wrong and blood tests/lab work are not an easy find with a city vet.

She has vermanex and acv as a wormer so I am just trying to build her up as much as possible. Last night however she did the first normal looking poop I have seen in a while and her appetite is beginning to return so I am hoping.

Try offering her some chopped egg, tuna, mackerel or meat in addition to her normal feed, this may give her a much needed protein boost. Add some poultry vitamins to her water a couple of times a weeks. Remember, if you have her inside, make a source of poultry grit (crushed granite) available free choice so she can process foods more easily.

Thank you. Have tried lots of different food stuffs. She will eat boiled but not scrambled eggs... and then only if the other hen is eating it. Vitamins and extra calcium I am giving via syringe. I thought she felt heavier today when I picked her up though she is still fluffed up and leg not right. Though I can see she is is not great she still pecks around and comes up to greet me and seems to be gaining some condition so I think it might be a a wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom