Chickens eating sauerkraut and kimchi?

dogkahuna

Songster
Oct 11, 2015
Southworth, WA
I'm an avid fermenter, making my own sauerkraut, kimchi, vinegars, kombucha,etc. Can anyone think of reasons why chickens shouldn't eat fermented vegetables? I know many folks ferment grains and I use the same wild yeasts.

I've read that hot spices don't register on a chicken's palate and my kimchi is pretty spicy. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I'm an avid fermenter, making my own sauerkraut, kimchi, vinegars, kombucha,etc. Can anyone think of reasons why chickens shouldn't eat fermented vegetables? I know many folks ferment grains and I use the same wild yeasts.

I've read that hot spices don't register on a chicken's palate and my kimchi is pretty spicy. Any thoughts? Thanks!

It's funny. I tried giving them those whole thai peppers. They took a couple bites and opened/closed their beaks like they had a bad taste on their tongue. I tried kimchi a few weeks ago and they had the same reaction to that. They eat their fermented feed and red bell peppers though. A good low-salt kraut would be interesting...real deal kombucha too...not some of that store bought garbage. Kefir may be another good one to try.

Last edited:
It's funny. I tried giving them those whole thai peppers. They took a couple bites and opened/closed their beaks like they had a bad taste on their tongue. I tried kimchi a few weeks ago and they had the same reaction to that. They eat their fermented feed and red bell peppers though. A good low-salt kraut would be interesting...real deal kombucha too...not some of that store bought garbage. Kefir may be another good one to try.
I have some kimchi that has no hotness at all and I was thinking of giving it to them. I looked for awhile for some "white girl kimchi" since the only salsa I can eat is spaghetti sauce with corn. I live in az and i found some nonspicy kimchi in a chinese market and while it is expensive and good I bought a big bottle of it. I will post what happens when they eat it. My chickens dont really like cabbage all that much but it seems when I leave them alone and come back they do eat what I give them. They love cereal, cheetos, cookies...they are far from organic chickens.

I would worry about the high salt content in sauerkraut and kimchi but I have heard of people feeding extra scoby and kefir grains to their chickens.

Back
Top Bottom