Nesting Hens

Karalin

Hatching
Apr 24, 2017
Hi All

I have had chickens for about 5 years but have never had a rooster nor let the hens sit on eggs. This year we have our first rooster and 3 hens sitting on eggs. We got three chicks from a friend and we put them under one of the hens and she loved it. But her nesting box is about 4' up and we are afraid the chicks will fall. Can we move the hen and the eggs to a lower location and will the hen go back to sitting on the eggs? She likes the new chicks. Any thoughts

G’Day from down under Karalin
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry, I am a little confused. The hen you want to move has the chicks you gave her but is also sitting on eggs? Or are you wanting to move the hen with chicks and another hen on eggs?

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Hi and welcome to BYC. As Teila asks, did you give chicks to a hen that is sitting on eggs? If so, that's not gonna work. The best thing to do, for the sake of the chicks is discard the eggs, and move both hen and chicks to floor level ASAP.

Good luck
CT

Being 4 ft. UP, would be a risk as well to any chicks she hatches out. She really needs to be moved to floor height for the sake of the chicks you gave her, as well as any she hatches.

She may even give up hatching, if she thinks she has hatched the chicks you gave her. Hens often abandon the rest of the eggs when the first few are hatched. In either case you may need to have a back up plan - either a brooder for the chicks. Or an incubator to hatch her eggs.

Sorry if that was confusing. I have a hen that has been sitting for two weeks on eggs. I went and got 3 chicks from someone else. Can I move the hen and eggs to a lower location so the new chicks can be with her? Will she stay sitting on the eggs or take off with the chicks.

Sorry if that was confusing. I have a hen that has been sitting for two weeks on eggs. I went and got 3 chicks from someone else. Can I move the hen and eggs to a lower location so the new chicks can be with her? Will she stay sitting on the eggs or take off with the chicks.

Hey Karalin

I would advise against giving her chicks because if she accepts them she will need to move away from the eggs to raise them or ignore the chicks and stay on the eggs. Your hen will not be able to do both for the additional week the eggs will need.

Usually a mumma hen sitting on a clutch of eggs will get up and leave any unhatched eggs after a couple of days to concentrate on her babies.

Back
Top Bottom