Keeping guineas out of the neighbors yard

cowgirlandfarm

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2015
I apologize in advance for the super long post we just really want guineas but want to try and keep them out of our neighbor's yard...

Is there any possible way to keep guineas out of our neighbor's yard? We really really want guineas for tick control but the only thing stopping us is because we have neighbors fairly close
we are the middle house in the picture below and as you can see we have tons and tons of property behind our house but we have one house (on our right but the left in this picture ) about 350ft from our house and another house (on our left but on the right in this picture ) about 650ft from our house but their shed is the small shed infront of of our house we do have some woods/vines and a short rock wall inbetween our property's... Also the road is about 150 -200ft infront of our house
We were planning on putting the coop in our back yard partly in the woods where they would have the whole woods and back yard to eat ticks in but I heard guineas will travel around lol
(Firstly im wondering around how far around guineas travel on average during the day, also do you know any ways what so ever to help keep the guineas away from their yard... ?)

Thanks so much!!!

I apologize in advance for the super long post we just really want guineas but want to try and keep them out of our neighbor's yard...

Is there any possible way to keep guineas out of our neighbor's yard? We really really want guineas for tick control but the only thing stopping us is because we have neighbors fairly close
we are the middle house in the picture below and as you can see we have tons and tons of property behind our house but we have one house (on our right but the left in this picture ) about 350ft from our house and another house (on our left but on the right in this picture ) about 650ft from our house but their shed is the small shed infront of of our house we do have some woods/vines and a short rock wall inbetween our property's... Also the road is about 150 -200ft infront of our house
We were planning on putting the coop in our back yard partly in the woods where they would have the whole woods and back yard to eat ticks in but I heard guineas will travel around lol
(Firstly im wondering around how far around guineas travel on average during the day, also do you know any ways what so ever to help keep the guineas away from their yard... ?)

Thanks so much!!!
Put them in a pen is the only way. Guinea's will go several hundred yards in their daily moving around/ Maybe you can explain to your neighbors how important they are and you are willing to pay for any damage they do from pecking their chrome bumpers and damage to their paint from getting on their cars etc??

I'm having the same problem. I didn't have any issues until last year. The neighboring farm was owned by a 96 year old man and all of his fields were rented to farmers who planted corn and soybeans year after year. My guineas and chickens would occasionally roam around the farmed fields and I never spotted any loss of crops or destruction to the plants from my birds.

However, the farm sold to a homesteader last year and he has turned the field closest to us (right on our property line) into a big garden and he wants to sell produce this summer. The last few mornings in a row, several of my guineas are in his garden! I was horrified. I call them back to the barn asap and hope and pray they haven't done anything to harm his plants or seeds. He does have two strands of electric wire up to keep pests and deer out, but the guineas are able to get through it. The neighbor hasn't said a word yet, and he was out there working yesterday and the birds were right there near his garden and I've heard no complaints from him??? I've never had the guineas destroy any of my own plants. They don't scratch like chickens and the most I've ever had them do is peck a few lettuce leaves and then move on, leaving them alone from that point on.

I also want my birds for tick and insect control, but if they can't free range they're no good.

It seems that my birds have a regular migration schedule. They gravitate toward the neighbors side in the morning and head the opposite direction into my horse pasture by evening. I know some people use solar powered game feeders to scatter feed several times a day to train the birds to stay near home. I may try that along with a fence, perhaps electrified netting on my neighbor's side to discourage them from ranging into his garden. I don't really have any other ideas at this point. Maybe someone else can help?

(BTW, I've never had a guinea do any damage to cars, or attempt to roost on them. I've had free range guineas along with a collection of performance cars on my property for years and had no issues in that regard)

Last edited:
Thanks this was super helpful!! Also, just to let you know, I have recently posted on a few guinea fowl groups on Facebook with my problem and there was some amazing advice!! I highly recommend looking on one of those groups for ideas regarding keeping them out of your neighbors yard!

Thanks this was super helpful!! Also, just to let you know, I have recently posted on a few guinea fowl groups on Facebook with my problem and there was some amazing advice!! I highly recommend looking on one of those groups for ideas regarding keeping them out of your neighbors yard!
Thanks I'll check that out!

I've been working on training my guineas to come to the barn morning and evening to keep them from ranging too far. It's working. They're no longer in the neighbor's garden first thing in the morning. They have been out in their steer's pasture, which is not a problem.

I think I may try the game feeder and have it set to disburse some feed 3-4 times a day to keep them close to home. If I was able to train them to come to me for food, it wouldn't take long for them to figure out that the game feeder spits out food at certain times of the day. I think it should work, or at least help.

My guinea fowl hardly go anywhere. The hang aroudn the chicken coop most of the time... sometimes do a circle of the house.

I keep food out for my chickens all day.. and my guinea fowl like to hang out with the chickens and eat there food.. so they have no desire to wander off.

Perhaps keep some food out for them at your place and they will stick around closer to home. They will still do the pest control.. as ticks are probably more delicious than boring dry chicken food... but the birds will eat the ticks closest to your home and their coop.

Also, OP, maybe the neighbor will not care about the birds visiting his property occasionally.... it's not like they will spend all day there (hopefully).

The last few mornings in a row, several of my guineas are in his garden! I was horrified. I call them back to the barn asap and hope and pray they haven't done anything to harm his plants or seeds.

The neighbor hasn't said a word yet, and he was out there working yesterday and the birds were right there near his garden and I've heard no complaints from him??? I've never had the guineas destroy any of my own plants. They don't scratch like chickens and the most I've ever had them do is peck a few lettuce leaves and then move on, leaving them alone from that point on.

Why don't you just ask the neighbor if he minds them visiting his garden? He might appreciate having the guineas there for eating army worms, beetles, and all the other non-beneficial insects in the garden that ruin crops. If so, than there's nothing to worry about and the guineas are providing a double bonus. :thumbsup

The guineas we had when I was a kid would poo poo the entire property full of tree cover and bugs and all sorts of food in favor of standing in the roadway with the cars. I'm not sure why, but you never know how good they've gotta have it in order to stay where they ought to.

Back
Top Bottom